18 | player

NATE HAD LEFT TO go back to his friends after we compromised, and the Seavey's approached me, once he was gone. Anna had a suggestive grin, while Daniel had a frown as they sat in front of me. I only stared back, and it was quiet for five minutes.

"What happened? Who was that? Why were you talking? What were you talking about? Whe—"

"Chill, Sherlock," I cut him off, getting annoyed with his questions. "His name's Nate and he gave me his number." Anna let out a shriek. "I don't think I'll text him though." Daniel let out a shriek. I looked between the two, the siblings sharing a look before they both turned to me. It was almost creepy how they turned at the same time, then again, when it came to Daniel, nothing he does is never creepy.

"He's cute," Anna commented, "you should text him."

"He's not cute," Daniel disagreed, "you should not text him."

"I don't think my decision can be influenced by either one of you, but please enlighten me with your reasons why I should or should not text the boy," I asked, placing my hands on my lap and waited for their answers. "Anna, you go first."

"Well, this could mean that you're willing to open up to people and Daniel and I both know that's hard for you," she started off strong, bringing in facts, "If you text him, that would mean that you'll be able to socialize and we, as human beings, are species that depend on socializing to cooperate."

"We're talking about a boy not a political controversy," Daniel retorted, rolling his eyes. "Don't text him, he's probably a player."

"I got that vibe," I nodded, and he grinned. "But that doesn't really mean anything, what if I want to play the game?"

"That game isn't fun, Logan," he stated, his tone serious and cautious. "Playing against a player isn't always going to end well, and you should know that."

"How? How am I supposed to know that when I've never been in a relationship or experienced a situation like now?" I asked, irritated. "Look, Daniel, you're probably worried I might get my heart broken, but did you not remember when I said that love is all an illusion, and that heartbreak is a side effect?"

"The love thing, yeah, but the heartbreak, no," he shook his head. "But no matter what you think, you're going to catch feelings."

"I'm not a dog, I don't play catch," I told him. "If I were to form feelings, I'd do my best to push myself away before it gets worse."

"Okay, fine! Text him and face the consequences," he exclaimed. Daniel stood up, and headed to the water, swimming away from us. I faced Anna who had a weary look, "What?"

"Daniel used to like this girl," she began, "and she was a player as well—he's looking out for you, but as much as I want you to text the boy in hopes of him not being a player, I know that you shouldn't."

"Then why did you agree to me texting him?"

"Like I said, you need to be more open with people, even if that meant having them break your trust at some point." I nodded, processing her words and watched her go to her brother. I contemplated; looking down at my phone where Nate's number was, it looked tempting to text him and face the challenges I'll be putting myself into.

Text him, there's no point in being a nobody for so long.

Reluctantly, I tapped his number and opened a chatroom for the two of us. My fingers hovered over the keyboard, hesitant on typing a simple word, but that would mean that I'm taking my chances. I'll be risking myself into falling in love or falling into a trap filled with heartbreak. My thumb typed in 'hey' but it hovered over the SEND and my heart was racing.