12 | cliché

I SHOULD'VE EXPECTED HOW my own mother was actually a closeted lesbian– actually, no, I did not expect that because my mom was as unpredictable as I was, and this was the last thing I'd expect her to be.

But I didn't have a problem with; I watched with a smile as my mother pressed her lips against Keith Lawson's wife, the latter not pulling away as they both smiled against each other's lips and half the people in the room had their phones out, while others cringed away. I cheered her on, Daniel doing the same as they both pulled away, Marissa pulling out papers from her Prada tote bag. "I filed the divorce during the nights you were gone, sweetheart." Before she tossed the paper to her ex-husband's face.

My eyes gazed over to Blaire who looked disgusted at her own mother, a familiar face walking behind her and wrapping his arm around her shoulder in a comforting way, but she stayed put, her lips curled up in disgust as she crossed her arms over her chest.

"Oh wow," I gaped, "they are still together?"

"Who?" Daniel looked in the direction of where I was staring. "Who's that?"

"Wesley, a guy I used to have a crush on," I admitted, no emotion whatsoever in my tone.

"Oh... you're not mad?" I faced him, my face genuinely confused as to how they were able to be together for so long. When they announced their relationship, I had moved on from him and that was two years ago.

"No, I had a brief crush on him because he was—what society would say—a "perfect boyfriend"," I air quoted, stressing the words. "He was cute and on the football team, but that's it—the crush lasted for a couple of weeks and I was back to being cynical about romance."

"So you admit you're cynical?"

"Logical," I corrected myself, before mumbling, "love doesn't exist, it's just a concept." It was like I was reminding myself of that. I didn't want to feel love at all, it would only complicate my life.

"Hey Logan, do you want to ditch and grab some burgers?" My mom came, her hand in Marissa's.

"Logan, I'm so sorry for how my daughter had been acting towards you, and honestly," she leaned in to whisper, "I'm glad to be your new mom."

"Thanks... I guess, and no worries, Blaire enjoys getting under my skin, I simply have to ignore her, right mom?" I turned to her and she nodded, sending a bright smile. "Daniel, you joining?" He nodded, and followed the three of us, but I noticed he spared a quick glance towards Blaire and Wesley, a weary look on his face.

We took a cab to a burger shack, the four of us sitting in a booth at eleven in the evening, eating junk food in our fancy attire, and if you were a bystander watching us, you'd think we were insane, but for once since I've been here—I felt content.

"So when did this happen?" I asked, tossing a fry in my mouth.

"A little over a year ago, before we moved," my mom began, sharing a look with her girlfriend. Marissa continuing for her, "I was at Ontario because Keith was in New York, and I didn't know who she was, but I definitely enjoyed her company."

"Is that why you were home late a lot? Was it during the month of October?" They both nodded, before my mom took my hand.

"I'm sorry I kept you in the dark, I didn't know how you'd react," she admits, her face showed guilt—a look I've never seen on my mom.

"I wouldn't have reacted badly, you're my mom and it's the 21st century, what's there to not accept when it comes to your sexuality?" I answered with a shrug, "Is that why it didn't work out with dad?"