16 | homecoming

IT WAS FINALLY THE last day of Spirit week and relief was probably an understatement. I was more than relieved. I wouldn't have to meet Blaire anymore, probably bump into her here and there, but I didn't have to see her as much as I did this past week. I didn't have to see her trying to shove the fact that she had Wesley wrapped around her finger. I didn't have to wear stupid costumes on each day of the week, and I didn't have to waste my mornings in the blazing sun, watching a game of over-glorified fetch.

It was the last game, and everyone was obligated to wear the school colors.

I was reluctant and incredibly slow the entire day. I had dressed, but took ten minutes longer than I usually do. I sat on my bed and stared at my wall for a good twenty minutes because I felt so drained. I barely paid any attention to Ellie, but she didn't mind since she was busy sleeping.

Today was the type of day you wish you could skip. I almost had no motivation to get out because honestly, what was the point? They are forcing us to go to school on a Saturday, when—at this time—I should be asleep, and enjoying a dream that probably would end up being another zombie apocalypse, but I'd much rather have to go through that, than go to school.

This should be considered illegal.

Daniel picked me up today, and this time I didn't protest. When I met them downstairs, I couldn't even say anything as I walked past them and into their car wordlessly. They noticed how extra quiet I was being, but didn't say anything. It should've been obvious that I didn't want to go to school in the first place.

"Did you find a dress for homecoming?" Anna asked, leaning her elbows on the seats.

I shook my head, "I don't do dances."

"How come?" I only shrugged. "You really don't like the fact that we have school today, huh?"

"Nope."

"Don't worry, after the game, we're going to get some food—"

"You guys are," Anna cut Daniel off, "I have to get ready with my friends."

"Yes, I remember," he chuckled, rolling his eyes. "Do you want to join me for some food, Logan?"

"Sure," I muttered, leaning my elbow on the door. "I have nothing better to do."

"You could if you would—"

"I have better things to do," I quickly cut him off, earning a laugh from him. The entire car ride was filled with the music from the radio playing, Anna was lying on the backseat with her phone and I was staring out the window. Portland was really nice, and despite the fact that I didn't walk around the place too much, I definitely enjoyed the place. I guess it's because I don't have too much bad memories of this place, unlike when I was in Ontario. I would've missed the place, if it weren't for all the shit memories it gave. Their good memories, but they'd have a bad ending to them.

"What's up, Logan?" Daniel glanced at me when we stopped at a red light.

"Nothing," I mumbled. "Just... tired." Obviously he wasn't convinced, that's the response you should never say when you want someone to not pry, but he understood and nodded, continuing the drive to school.

Anna went off to her friends, Daniel and I headed to the fields, finding a seat at the top of the bleachers. We got a few things from the vending machines, placing it between us as the teams were warming up. "How do you feel about homecoming?" I turned to face him, my brows knitted together at the question.

"Why'd you ask? And I thought I already told you," I asked.

"Yeah, but you just explained why you dislike it, never about why you feel that way," he says, "that probably sounded confusing, but you get what I mean—have you never been to one?"