25 | breakfast

DECEMBER HAD APPROACHED FAST and school had finally closed for winter break. Although some might think that we can finally relax, take in the beauty of the snow that had begun to fall even though it was the beginning of December, my mother and soon-to-be stepmother thought otherwise.

Their wedding is next week on Friday, and my aunt has been trying to help out with preparation. To add on to the stress, the weather report for Friday is said to snow the entire day, so they had to find a venue that would be willing to be reserved this last minute.

Luckily, the Viridian—otherwise known as the place my mother confessed to being in a relationship with Marissa—was willing to rent it out to them. I, on the other hand, had been waiting for a reply to my application to San Pãulo. I received an email the other day that the application has been sent to me, and I'll be receiving it in a few days after it was delivered.

I don't understand why they couldn't just email you the answer. I don't know either, but I'd rather have the suspense than be disappointed immediately. Of course I doubt that I will get in, there's a lot more eligible applicants out there, so why would they choose me?

How impatient I was becoming had begun to affect my sleep—not that it made an immense difference, but usually when I don't fall asleep, I opt to watch something. Now, as the clock struck two in the morning, I stayed in the same position—by my window, staring at the ceiling, and creating these unrealistic scenarios of absolutely nothing important. I had been staring at the ceiling for what felt like an eternity, but it really was only ten minutes.

I could hear my mom on the phone with someone, conversing about the wedding I'm sure until her footsteps echoed throughout the house and towards my room. When she opened the door, she didn't look surprised to see that I was still awake. She was aware of why I've been lacking on sleep. "Logan, I wanted to tell you that there might be a chance that your dad will be attending the wedding."

"Of course he is," I muttered under my breath, turning my head to face the window so she can't see how angry I was.

"Your father and I are on good terms, Logan, and he's asking if he could attend the wedding," she paused for a moment, waiting for a reaction. When it didn't come, she let out a sigh, "I have yet to send him an invite."

Cancel your daughter's invite, sell the dress and don't expect her to show up. I closed my eyes, controlling my heavy breathing and the anger that was flowing through my veins. I needed to keep in mind that I am still lacking on rest, and if I were to act impulsive then there won't be any resolution to whatever issue that will come up from being a hot-head.

"Mom, I think you need to sleep," I told her instead, before looking at her with a blank look, "I'm going to sleep shortly." She stared at me for a moment before wordlessly leaving my room, closing the door behind her. It was a sight to see my mom cave in when I held my ground; she's a lawyer, and it's in her blood to get her way. I guess because I didn't directly say no, she'll continue the conversation in the morning.

I had switched positions from the window to my bed, turning my phone off from airplane mode, and not a minute after, Daniel's name had popped up. Despite how I've grown comfortable around the boy—by comfortable, I mean, not rude—I still wasn't fond of how he, too, was awake at an ungodly hour such as right now. "What?"

"I suspected that you were awake," he said, and there wasn't a trace of grogginess in his voice, proving that he had been awake as well. "Something on your mind?"