27 | chances

TO SAY THE LEAST, I've never seen my mom so hurt, and still have the will power to go to work.

Since she found out that she was left at the alter, she wasn't the same. She looked as if she had gone back to the cold-hearted woman that would eat a man's heart if they were to simply shove past her on accident. She never spoke in the morning when getting ready, she doesn't even look at me when we sit across from one another.

I'd like to say I understand that she's hurt, but I'm not entirely sure what type of emotion she's feeling at the moment. Is she angry to have been cheated on? Is she embarrassed that they had to cancel the wedding and reception? Is she sad that the one she claimed to have loved had left her?

It's been a week since their supposed wedding, and Marissa had been trying to contact my mom, even going as far as calling me. I answered the first time, and once I knew it was her, I had blocked the number. My mom didn't need her in her life, and even though it was annoying and made me just as angry, I couldn't help but feel... right. I had already warned her that she was going too fast, but she was persistent.

Anna had also been trying to contact me, but was unsuccessful because my phone had been off most of the time.

Right now, it was two days before Christmas and my gifts for my mom had already arrived. I headed downstairs to pick up the package, finding some mail underneath the package before bring whatever was in the box, up to the apartment. I made sure to open the package first, smiling to myself to find the box of accessories in good condition before wrapping it up in gift wrap. I had moved onto mail, finding bills and a couple of letters, stamped and looked... official.

I read them thoroughly, my heart dropping when it had read the three different universities I had sent applications to. I was applying for the international scholarship, or to be enrolled as an international student. The one from Brazil was a regular application while the one I sent to Paris was for a scholarship. The university in Germany was also a regular application. My heart was beginning to race as I searched for other responds from colleges in America.

There was a sense of pride when I discovered that I was accepted to all, but one and that was in Florida, but I wasn't relying on it too much. My breathing was ragged while opening the ones from outside the country, but I wasn't able to open either of them because a knock sounded at my door.

I pulled the door open, seeing Daniel looking down at the floor before up at me. I didn't hesitate to close the door on him, but he was quick and placed his foot to keep from closing. "Logan, wait."

"What do you want?" I asked, my tone clipped.

"What happened at the wedding? Why was it cancelled?" He asked, pushing the door open and stepping in.

"Because Marissa is a bitch, alright?" I was straight-forward. "I saw her, she was fucking Keith—her dumbass, ex-husband." He was as stunned as Marissa was when she was exposed. "So yeah, the wedding was cancelled, my mom's back to being cold-hearted and not looking at me like she used to."

"Logan, I'm so—"

"Don't say you're sorry," I shook my head, "I'm still fucking pissed at you."

"I know, and I understand, that's why I gave you space but now..." He sighed, running a hand through his messy hair. "Your mom has been nothing but nice to me, and she's a wonderful woman, I don't like that she's heartbroken."

"Yeah, Daniel, we get that you're a caring person—"

"That's why I called your dad, okay? You never let me explain myself why I called him," he reminded.