Chapter One

I almost killed someone after I awoke.

The words said by the people in the room rang in my ears, only pieces of it made sense in my mind. It was just a blur of sound. It gave me a headache listening to all of it.

"Her enhanced hearing is starting to develop right now," I heard a voice say.

"She's overwhelmed," I heard another.

My hands were placed behind my neck as shots of pain went through my body. Each felt like a jolt of electricity, 100 times worst then accidentally shocking someone. My heart was racing, my head was pounding. For a genetically enhanced human being, I felt as weak as ever.

That is until something in me snapped. Or got activated.

Instantly, I stood up, my skin feeling cold under the thin hospital gown I was wearing. I had no idea how I suddenly had the strength to stand on my own, without any support whatsoever. It just happened.

Like what happened next.

My vision was still a blur, like my hearing at first, yet somehow I knew where everything and everyone was. Probably a new feature in the new-and-improved me.

I held my arm out without exactly knowing why. All I knew in that moment was that I was furious. I was angry. I didn't want to be part of the Institute's games or plans or anything. I just want to be a normal girl.

Is that too much to ask?

Apparently.

I strong force of energy spread through me, coming out of my hand. Telekinesis. I knew that.

Someone got swept off her feet with the force. She screamed, dropping something, maybe her clipboard, and got pinned between the wall and my strength.

I didn't know what I was doing. I didn't know how I was doing it.

And I didn't know how strong I actually was until the sides of her mouth and the ends of her fingertips started going from pale to purplish-blue.

They pinned me down then, strangled with me and strapped me to the bed once again. The tubes I tore off my skin were reattached, drugging me instantly, making me feel calm and painless once again.

The woman was surrounded by a bunch of her colleagues, who were making sure she was okay, doing alright after the attack. She refused any help and got to her feet on her own.

Before leaving with the other doctors, she came to me first. She pushed the hair out from in front of my face and sat next to me on the bed.

As I fell back into unconsciousness, she spoke to me in a familiar, kind voice.

"Not bad, sweetheart, but remember who the real enemy is."

-- : --

I refused to do anything in the next couple of days.

I didn't eat anything. I didn't talk to anyone. I pushed away anything and anyone that was here to make sure I was okay and alive.

I knew where I was. I knew my fate. I'm stuck here, at the Institute, until they let me out. Which, if we're being honest, is going to be never. Not until I start doing what they say.

If the doctors here learned anything, it's that I'm not gonna doing anything they say. Anything.

The only things I did do was (a) sleep and (b) pull on the tubes and the IV keeping me alive. Every time I manage to pull them off with my current weak fingers, a nurse decides to walk in at that moment and see what I'm trying to do. Bad timing, if I say so myself.