Chapter Forty-Eight

"Her immune system is failing."

"She needs more fluids."

"She's gaining conscious, we need to pull her back under."

Voices. There were so many voices in the room. They weren't very loud, but my head pounded just hearing them. My body felt heavy, my muscles ached. I could probably lie down on this bed forever.

And then I opened my eyes, being blinded by white light. Where am I?

I tried to sit up but I couldn't lift my head much. I was restrained with cuffs around my elbows, my ankles and my waist. I couldn't even see what was going on around me, only being able to make out shadows of people around me.

"You might want to lie down, sweetheart. You need rest."

My body hit the mattress, my muscles becoming weak. But my eyes were still looking around the room. It wasn't long until I saw her, face to face.

"Mom," I said weakly.

She walked over and sat on the edge of my bed. She reached for one of my hands - the one that I wore the bracelet Cole gave me. Her fingers were entwined in mine, and all I could do was hold her tightly. "I'm here, sweetheart."

I wanted to scream. I wanted to cry. I wanted to punch her in the face, but the only thing I did was speak again. "Mommy, everything hurts."

"I know, I know. It's going to end soon, I promise." Her other hand made it's way to my forehead, onto where I grazed my forehead. I could now feel a bandage that was covering the injury.

"Let me go," I choked. "Why am I here?"

"You were the one that came here Lauren, remember?" I remembered. "We're helping you, Lauren. You're sick."

"He's dead. Why is he dead?" I asked her.

"You have to ask yourself that, Lauren," Mom said in response.

"But you told me to-"

"No, we didn't Lauren. The Institute had nothing to do with your choices tonight. It was all you."

"No, it wasn't," I denied.

"Sweetie." She placed her hand on my chest, me only then realizing how cool it felt. I must've been running a fever. "You know where you belong. You know your purpose in the world, right?"

I knew what she was talking about, and as much as I denied it, I knew that was the truth. I tried to be good - or, against the Institute, I really did. But it didn't work out. I nodded weakly.

"Sweetie, I know it hurts, I know it feels like the world is crumbling at your fingertips, but Lauren," She paused, taking a breath. "he wasn't worth much, was he? He was only a portion of your life - a mere four months or so. There's so much more for you out there."

"I loved him."

"Did you really, or are you just telling that to yourself?"

I didn't say anything in response. I did love him, I really did. I cared about him, did I not?

"Julianna, is she good?" 

Mom turned away from me, towards a door or something. "A few more minutes, Auston. Let me finish." Her blue eyes met mine again. "Lauren, you do know what the Institute wants, right?"

"Well - uh - they -" I didn't know exactly.

"Lauren, this isn't just an experiment. We aren't just making an army." She brushed away some of the hair that fell on my face. "Imagine a world with no guns. Imagine a world with no diseases, no sickness. Imagine a world where people could stop others from doing stupid things, things that could hurt people."

She clipped off the bracelet from my wrist, placing the piece of jewelry in her coat pocket. "Lauren, what is the Institute fighting for?"

The words were bitter in my mouth, but I spoke them anyway. "We're fighting for a better tomorrow."

She nodded, squeezing my hand.

"She's going under in three... two..."