Chapter Forty-One

"Sleeping bag, pajamas, hair stuff, nail polish, phone... I think that's everything," Alyssa said, tossing everything into a bag and tossing my stuff over her shoulder. "This is going to be so much fun!"

I looked up from my phone. "Aren't you forgetting something?" I asked her. When she looked at me confused, I raised an eyebrow. "Toothbrush, toothpaste, hairbrush, me."

"Come on, we have to do this tonight. We're gonna have a great time. Jessica and Taylor are gonna be there too. You know how hard it was to convince Jessica to come?" She asked me.

"Not that hard actually," Jessica said, walking into my room with Taylor following her. "I told you not to make it that... stupid. You know... no manicures and stuff."

"But that's one of my favourite parts of sleepovers," Taylor said. "Alyssa's, like, a pro when it comes to nails."

Alyssa blushed. "I'm not that good. Now, we'll be in my room while the boys would be in-"

"Woah, woah, woah, there's gonna be boys at our sleepover?" I cut in. "Don't sleepovers usually involve talking about boys."

"You don't like that stuff," Alyssa said. "But we could totally do it because I'm pretty sure they're going to be playing video games all night long."

"Oh, please no," I pleaded.

"I'm just kidding, Laur. I'd never do that to you," Alyssa assured me. I did not believe that at all.

"We're going to your house, right Alyssa?" Taylor asked. "Can we go yet?"

"Yeah, I guess so. Mother's probably done explaining to rules to our chaperones," Alyssa said.

She walked out of the room, dragging me by the arm behind her. The two other girls followed her.

"Wait, so, your mom is going to leave seven teenagers alone with a few strangers for an entire evening?" Jessica asked. "She trusts you that much?"

"Well, yeah. Plus, all our house servants and maids are going to be there," Alyssa explained. "Mother's been wanting to spend the night alone at this spa resort thing for a while now."

I pulled out my keys and locked the front door of our house, twisting the doorknob again to make sure that it's actually locked. "How far is your house? Can I bring my bike?" I asked her.

Alyssa pulled on my arm again. "No Lauren, we're walking."

"My back still hurts," I complain.

"You're a superhuman, you can do this, I believe in you," Alyssa said, trying to lift my spirits.

Sometimes I wonder how we're even friends but I'm glad to have someone like her.

We walked most of the way in silence as the sun started to set. Alyssa kept on mentioning how fun tonight would be, and how it's something I absolutely had to experience.

"Do you actually sleep at sleepovers?" I asked.

"Nope," Taylor said. "It's more like "sleep is over" and sleepovers."

I laughed. Then, out of no where, the sound of what seemed to be a stampede came from behind. The other girls and I turned around to find three boys charging towards us.

Cole stopped running when he was right next to me, placing an arm around my shoulders. "Hey."

"Hi... why did it sound like you were being chased by an elephant or something?" I asked him. He looked over at Tyson and Aidan, who were covered in sweat after running, who simply shrugged in response.