Chapter Ten

The girl you were battling last, she died in hospital because of her injuries.

The words echoed through my mind as I lay in bed. I couldn't fall asleep thinking of it.

You're a murderer. Lauren, you're a murderer. A voice in me said.

"I know," I said quietly, hoping no one else in the quarters could hear my sobs. "I know I am. They turned me into a murderer."

"Lauren." The voice came with a knock on my door. "Lauren, I know you're not okay. What happened at the meeting?"

"Go away, Spencer," I told him. "I don't want to talk. Not to you, at least."

"What happened?"

"Nothing."

"It doesn't sound like nothing."

I couldn't take his questions anymore, he's been asking since I got back. He and mom. Mom was more curious about what I learned from the meeting, Spencer questioned why I was feeling down. Dad continued to watch the TV through all that, though he did give me a sympathetic look, understanding that I didn't want to talk.

I untangled myself from the bed sheets and stumbled my way to the door. The floorboards creaked under my weight, making the darkness around me scarier. Usually, the dark wouldn't bother me at all. Now, it feels like there are people watching me from the shadows.

You're just paranoid, Lauren. I told myself. Get yourself together, you can't be like this forever.

I turn the handle of the door and open it slowly. Spencer stands there in blue pajama pants and a t-shirt. His hair is messier than usual and there are dark circles under his eyes. I wonder why he isn't asleep yet, it's pretty late.

"You can't say that you're okay when I can hear you cry from next door," He said once I met him eye to eye.

"But I was so quiet," I complained. "How were you able to hear it? What are you even doing up? Aren't you a heavy sleeper?"

"It's I heard you or I was starting to hear things after all this studying," He explained. "I have a paper due tomorrow."

"And you leave it last minute?" I questioned. "I thought you were more responsible than that."

"Procrastinating is the key to school."

"No, that's the key to failing school, Spence," I said.

"Same difference."

I sighed. At least he's trying to finish it before morning.

"So, what happened today? Why are you crying?" He asked, changing the topic back to what it was originally.

"Nothing."

"Lauren..."

"Leave me alone," I stated, starting to shut the door on him.

He blocked it with his foot. "Just talk. You know, this isn't like you, keeping to yourself most of the time."

"You know, trust is a funny thing, Spencer," I say.

"Do you still not trust me and dad?" He asked. "I get dad but-"

"One moment, you know who you can trust. The way they act. The way they talk. What they do and what happens after. The next, it's like you don't know who to trust. Everyone is just the same. Especially here. You just... you just... all of the people who work here feel like they all want to hurt me."

"Lauren," He started. "There are some people who actually care-"

"And anyone related to anyone working at the Institute," I continue. "Is it bad that I don't feel like I can't trust Aidan anymore? The feeling just came to me during the meeting. I don't think I can even trust him anymore."