Chapter Thirty-Three

Looking into the mirror, I smoothed out the black skirt I was forced to wear as part of my new school uniform. I was in my old bedroom, the one I had as a kid. I pulled the blue sweater over my white collared shirt, fingering the school crest embroidered on my chest. I tied my hair back into a low ponytail, though some strands of golden-brown refused to go back. I picked up my backpack. Once filled with clothes and whatever I needed to run was now full of pencils, notebooks and whatever else was needed for high school. 'Course, I got the list from Spencer, who also lent me all the stuff.

I slipped into my boots and walked out of my room. The house was pretty quiet with only the sound of the TV downstairs filling the air. I headed downstairs towards the kitchen to grab some breakfast. Hopefully the kitchen was stocked with food.

Last night was definitely interesting. Dad and King Jacin never did reveal what they were talking about to us - so much for me being there. Yet, when they both arrived to the dinner table, only moments after the girls and I came back from our little talk, I noticed streaks on Dad's face... like he was crying.

I was curious on what they talked about, but I didn't ask when we were coming back.

I walk into the kitchen to find Dad and Spencer already at the table. Three short stacks of pancakes surrounded them, piled with maple syrup and fruits. They each had a cup of coffee in hand as they stared at the screen in front of them.

My brother looked up at the sound of my footsteps, then immediately slammed his screen closed. Then Dad looked up, first shocked, then wore a smile on his face.

"Good morning, sweetie," He greeted. "Pancakes?"

What was that all about? I wondered, eyeing the laptop. "Morning," I muttered, opening the fridge door. "I'm fine, thanks." I heard Spencer ask if he could have my pancakes, then the sound of a plate sliding across the table. I turned back around with a jug of orange juice. "Do I have to go to school? Spencer makes it sound like it's torture."

Dad shot a look at Spencer, who casually licked the maple syrup off his thumb while looking back at him. "What? I was complaining about university, not high school."

"Well then." Dad turned to me. "High school is a horrible place with horrible teachers and massive amounts of homework. There will be tears and laughter but mostly tears. But remember, nothing is as bad as the Institute. Now, go on and rule high school. We'll be here when you come back."

Now, it was our turn to give Dad weird looks. "You couldn't have given me a pep talk like that, Dad?" Spencer asked, grabbing the juice jug from my hand and pouring a glass for him and me.

"I'm sorry, your mom was in charge of your high school pep talk," Dad apologized. He got up from the stool he was sitting on and went to put his dishes in the sink.

"Why am I even going to school in the first place?" I asked. "I mean, what if I accidentally set something on fire or something?"

"Going back to school will make you fit in better, you'll be like all the other kids," Spencer said, finishing off the first pancake on his second stack of pancakes. "And you won't let you get seen with powers, because you can control them, right Lauren?" Both Dad and Spencer eyed me carefully, waiting for my answer.

"I'll try," I muttered, slinging my bag on my shoulder.

Dad looked at me straight into my eyes. "You better do harder than try, Lauren. You have to keep it all a secret, okay?"

I rocked back and forth on my heels. "Okay, daddy."

My phone vibrated in my pocket. I fished for it, finding that Aidan sent me a message: meet you are school or wanna walk together?