Chapter Thirteen

I really wished what I thought I heard was actually different than what actually happened.

I caught the sound first, with the super hearing and all, and jolted upright in terror. I knew Spencer wasn't feeling well and that noise sounded bad. I really hoped he was alright.

I rushed to his bedroom door, dad following behind me. He knew I knew something was wrong.

I didn't want to be right.

I stopped at his door, large, red letters spelling out his name. I waited a second. I listened. Then I knocked.

"Spencer? Are you okay?" I croaked.

Dad put a hand on my shoulder. "Lauren, what's wrong?"

"Hopefully nothing," I said under my breath.

But Spence didn't respond.

"He's probably sleeping,"

"He's not okay... I don't think so..." I turned the handle hard. The door didn't budge. "Spencer?"

I knew he wasn't okay. He would've mumbled something. Screamed to shut up. Silence was something he wouldn't respond with. For goodness sake, he heard me cry softly in a different room but can't here me screaming outside of his bedroom door.

I grabbed the handle again, forcing it to turn. "Open you damn door!" Heat expelled from me, melting the doorknob.

Inside, I saw what I didn't want to see.

Spencer's pale, limp body sprawled on the floor.

-- : --

Dad told me to breathe. He told me everything was going to be okay. At least, that's what I got from his small smiles to me and the light squeezes he gives me.

It's strange to be in the waiting room of the hospital, I'm usually the one people are visiting. And the one trapped in this prison for a few days. Just being in the white walls of the building right now is sending shivers down my spine.

But never have I been glad that we were so close to a hospital.

"What happened to him?" I muttered, hugging myself to keep warm. It was a bit cold, don't they turn up the heating in the winter?

"It's probably nothing," Dad assured. "Maybe just a cold or-"

"He was lying on the floor. He was no where close to his bed. He just... fell unconscious, didn't he?"

He rubbed my back. "Your mom's with the other doctors right now. She'll know what happened."

Right then, mom walked into the waiting room, a file held between her hands. Her dark, long hair was pulled back into a bun, making her look very professional. She wore a doctor's coat and a stethoscope around her neck. Her dark blue eyes found me and dad and she walked over.

The sound of her heels echoed through the halls. She took a seat next to me and drew in a deep breath.

"Spencer experienced a seizure," She announced. "He'll be okay though, there's nothing to be afraid of."

I looked at her wide-eyed. "What? How did it happen?"

She pursed her lips. "Concussion. He must've gotten one and made it worse."

"But that's really unlike him, Julianna," Dad said. "He knows how bad a concussion could get if not taken care of. Why didn't he let us know?"

Mom shrugged, playing with my hair. "He's in bed now, sleeping. I don't think the hospital is going to let him go for a few days."