Chapter Nine

Chaos erupted, which wasn't all that surprising. It left me in shock when I first heard, the rest was as shocked as I was.

The group immediately started talking to friends and people nearby. I overheard people mentioning this was 'insane' and 'freaky'. Most questioned their role in all this like I definitely did, others were curious about what was going to happen next.

The only ones unfazed by all this were me, Aidan, Jessica, Tyson, and Alyssa, since we knew about all this prior to the meeting. Actually, I wasn't sure how Jessica knew, Spencer probably told her.

"That's inhumane!" The boy who asked the question earlier said loudly. "You want every child to experience what we did?"

Nods of agreement were shared around the room, murmurs saying that the man was clearly crazy or out of his mind. I couldn't argue, being here was a nightmare.

Still is.

"Well," Mr Miller started, but everyone kept talking, unlike the time where we were supposed to talk to each other. He waited a few minutes for everyone to settle down. But when that didn't happen, he slammed a fist on the table and yelled, "SILENCE!"

The room immediately went quiet.

"Finally," he muttered, then cleared his throat. "No, not every child will experience what you all did while growing up, but only if we do something about the royal family."

Confused looks were passed to each other. Dethrone the royal family? I thought. Why? Wasn't this started because of Queen Lillian? Why are they a problem?

I glanced at Tyson, who looked a little hurt again at the mention of the late queen. Something told me there was definitely something that bothered him about that topic.

"The royal family is the only way to make the project legal and do this as fast as possible." Mr. Miller continued. "If they make it so that each child born will have to go through the process, it will be easier to move into this new future."

"But why would you even want everyone to be like this in the future?" A ginger-haired girl asked. "It would be chaos. Madness. From someone with these powers, I could tell you that it's awful having them."

"Now, now Kelly. Why wouldn't we advance the human race?" Mr. Miller asked. "For years we've dreamed of people with supernatural abilities who can save the world. Superman, Spiderman, Batman-"

"Actually, Batman doesn't have superpowers," Aidan piped in. Everyone glared at him with confused looks, all apart from Tyson who had a smile on his face. "What? I like superhero comics."

"Anyway..." The man continued. "We have now figured out the key to these abilities. Shouldn't we put them into effect?"

"But," This time a brown-haired boy spoke up. "It's not like everyone has powers in the comic books and movies, only certain people."

"But to continue on in the future, the human race must evolve with the world we are living in." Mr. Miller explained. He clearly looked annoyed with all the interruptions. "We cannot stay the same forever, this is just part of human evolution."

"Except, you know, with the science experiments and stuff," I added at the end.

"Spiderman was bitten by a radioactive spider, which was part of an experiment."

I glared at Aidan. "Shut. Up."

"Yes, with science but after one generation, or every child today, becomes part of the experiment, as they reproduce, their DNA will already hold the enhancement so the experiment will no longer be needed."