Chapter Sixteen

"It's an advent calendar," Dad explained, handing me a box-like object. I shook it lightly - there was something inside.

"What's it for?" I asked, tracing my finger around the little painted figures on the cardboard box. "What's inside?"

"Chocolate," Spencer said, looking up from his textbook. It's like he always has his nose tucked in one of those these days, it's not fun being around him. "Or little gifts. I've had one each year for Christmas but now I don't get one because I'm 'too old'."

Dad raised an eyebrow. "Spencer, you are a grown man. You don't need a children's toy-"

"But Lauren is sixteen!" He argued.

"And you had one when you were sixteen, remember? Plus, Lauren hasn't done the tradition, as far as she can remember."

"Yeah, Spencer." I stuck out my tongue at him.

He muttered something under his breath as he stuck his nose back into the book.

"Wait... what tradition?" I asked.

"Okay... it's not much of a tradition but it's a fun way to count down the days before Christmas," Dad explained. I looked at him strangely, confused about a small thing.

"What's Christmas?" I felt silly asking the question, knowing it probably was a big thing I missed out on for years. I know Spencer mentioned a 'Christmas Eve' but it wasn't like I knew what it was... and I didn't have time to ask. The shocked expression on Spencer's face told me it was a pretty big thing for him, at least.

"Only the best holiday ever!" He exclaimed, the look on his face making him look like a little boy. "It's full of food and presents and candy canes and-"

"Okay, okay, I get it." I cut him off, calming him down from all the hype. "So there are..." I count the squares on the box. "Twenty-four days until this magical celebration."

Dad nodded. "Each day, you open one of the little compartments and behind them are chocolates and toys. It's just a fun way to keep track of the days."

"Seems... fun..." Not really but it involves chocolates.

Dad chuckled. "I'm glad you're slowly accepting people into your life." He kissed my forehead and walked out the door.

It's been a week since the accident - December first. I've kept to myself for the time being, only talking to Spencer during the day. I haven't talked to my friends since, avoiding their phone calls and texts, too. Aidan didn't even want to talk to me, and I couldn't blame him.

I missed him. A lot. But he didn't miss me.

Dad was let into the circle of trust after spending nights with me after I woke from a nightmare. He held me in his arms, telling me everything was okay. He told me that sometimes relationships will be hard and painful and he told me that one day, all of this would be over. He stayed until I fell asleep again.

He showed me that he cared.

"Spencer," I said.

He looked up. "What is it?"

"We're leaving on Christmas Eve, right?" I asked, making sure I got the details right.

"Yeah. Why?"

I opened the twenty-fourth box on the advent calendar, unwrapping the candy in it and popping it in my mouth. "Now it's counting the days till we're out of this place."

"That would be a great Christmas gift if we were successful, huh?" He questioned.

I nodded. "Then we'll be free."