Chapter Twenty-One

"We have to go back," I stated, starting to run towards the building we just left. I couldn't just leave those two there, I just can't. They were part of the mission, they have to achieve their goal, too.

"No, Lauren." Aidan held onto my wrist, preventing my from moving. He was just as strong as I was so he actually was able to stop me. Otherwise, I'd flip him over and run back. "It'll be too dangerous if we go. They probably already have people coming after us."

"No but-" Tears started forming in my eyes. "They sacrificed themselves for the team. We could've just all went and... and..."

Someone placed a hand on my shoulder. Startled, I turned around, seeing Spencer behind me. He grinned at my expression, then pulled me closer.

"We were all willing to help you get out of there, Lauren," He whispered. "We knew how much you despised that place."

His words were comforting, reminding me that we escaped that we, at least, escaped that horrid place. But as his words sunk in, I pulled away.

"Wait." Snow continued to fall down hard, the forest canopy not helping with slowing it down. "You escaped... because I wanted to?"

The three boys looked at each other uncomfortably. They all had what-do-we-do-now looks on their faces. Tyson bit his lip, looking down at the ground.

"Guys, say something," I ordered. Their silence was eerie, not to mention that the winter winds in the background made me even more frightened. "Guys, you didn't just put this plan into action because I wanted to escape, right? You wanted to just as much, right?"

Aidan nudged Tyson, the look on his face saying you-better-start-explaining. His response face was more on the lines of why-me? but he started talking.

"We, uh, we noticed how you really didn't want to be there. You tried escaping yourself and you just didn't stop thinking about it-"

"Spencer! You can't just dig into my thoughts!" I complained, cutting Tyson off mid-sentence.

Spence gave a guilty look, shoving his hands into his coat pockets. I set my gaze back at Tyson, a look of uncomfort painted on his face once again.

He cleared his throat. "We wanted you to feel better, Lauren. We all care about you and you just weren't doing... okay at the Institute. We wanted you out of there before..."

"Before what?" I asked, my voice a little too loud. "Before I become mentally ill?" I paused, waiting for one of the boys to answer. All I got in response was a tiny nod.

"What?" I asked. "You didn't think I could cope with myself while being there? I'm totally fine, don't you see? I'm not sick - physically or mentally. I -"

"Lauren," Aidan cut in. I thought he was mad at me. I thought he didn't want to talk to me. "Lauren, since you woke up from the Institute, you spent a lot of your time alone and crying and just isolating yourself from other people. You - you were really sensitive with what others said you just, in general, were acting more like a jerk."

Me? A jerk? Says the jerk who-

"Lauren," Aidan spoke again. "We just wanted to help."

"I'm fine though," I explained. "I'm totally fine. I'd be able to stay there for longer. I -" I was loosing my mind in there. Each passing day, it felt like I'd never get out of there. I'd just be stuck there for the rest of my life. Because that was my entire life, wasn't it? Attempting to run away but end up there either way. The same events happen over and over again, just at different ages.

"You shouldn't have done that for me," I said quietly. "I didn't do anything to deserve it."

"Lauren," Tyson spoke. "We'd do anything for you. You're our friend."

"I'm not a very good one." My thoughts floated to when I first met Jessica, how bitter the words that flew out of my mouth sounded. She was just an innocent person who I got mad at.

Tyson and Aidan sandwiched me into a warm hug. A few moments later, I spoke.

"If you guys are really uncomfortable with this whole 'hugging' thing, just let go, boys." The two immediately let go of me after speaking that sentence, though I could tell they both enjoyed the warmth from the hug.

Spencer, who was freezing his butt off at this point, turned to Tyson. "Dude, where's your uncle supposed to meet us?"

"Wait, uncle?" I questioned. I was not aware of that part of the plan. "Why are we waiting for someone when we should be on the move?"

"Sis, do you think we're gonna walk through all of this snow?" Spence asked. I started nodding but then realized it was the wrong answer.

"So we're being picked up?" I asked. "By what? A car, a truck, a-"

"Helicopter," Tyson stated. "We're using a helicopter."

I looked up at the sky. It was dark and covered in clouds and have I mentioned the snow falling upon us?

"I have questions," I state. When Tyson shoots me the go-for-it look, I continue. "Is Mr. Miller aware of his brother or brother-in-law getting us a helicopter to help us escape? Also, how does the uncle of yours know where we are? And, do you think Alyssa and Jessica are okay?"

A long silence filled the air as Tyson fumbled with his phone. "Who said that this uncle is related to my foster family?"

"Wait, so you have connections..."

He nodded before I could finish. "I keep in touch with him only, though."

"Why doesn't he adopt you or something?" I asked.

His voice became quiet. "I didn't let him. I never really wanted to keep touch with any biological family member but he always found one way or another to get in touch with me."

His phone vibrated and he looked down. "He should be here any minute."

"What about the others?" I asked once again.

Spencer put an arm around my shoulder. "They'll be okay. Mr. Miller would never do anything to hurt his daughter."

"And Jess?"

"She'll be fine too," He assured. "Alyssa will make sure of it."

A question that tugged at the back of my mind was waiting to be answered. "If Jessica was able to do that with the fence, why didn't she do it in the first place? It would've saved us a lot of time."

Aidan answered. "Blowing up the fence would mean a loud, crashing sound. It'd get the guards on our toes quicker. Our way was safer on the hand that we wouldn't get caught easily. Plus, Jess doesn't really like using her powers in public."

"Yeah, but-" My sentence was cut off by a noise in the distance. The sound of footsteps coming towards us. I looked down, seeing some of our footprints making a path back to the Institute. They weren't filled yet by the snow.

"Guys, I think we're being followed," I state. "The guards are coming."

Aidan cursed. "What do we do now? It's not like we can hide. Everything is white. We can't blend in."

"But it's dark. They can't see us, can they?" I asked.

Aidan kicked some snow at me. "Not if they have flashlights, idiot. Which they probably do, if they can see the footsteps."

"Guys!" Tyson said. "Don't worry, he should be-"

The sound of helicopter blades cutting the sky came from above.

I looked up as the ladder came down.

-- : --

short update that i wanted to get out tonight. things get interesting next chapter :)