Chapter Twelve

If my life was a book, no one would read it. Seriously. It's just the same events happening over and over and over again, just at different ages.

Like, come on, author - or whoever controlling the events of my life, think of something new.

But running away? Again? Would that be the smartest thing to do, considering Mr. Mustache said that anyone who attempts escaping will be punished. And since it's the second time escaping for me and Aidan, I doubt they're gonna be easy on us. That isn't our best route.

But do I want to leave this retched place again? Totally.

"Wha - what's the plan this time?" I asked, thinking about the power-blocking fence they put up. There's no way to go around it, since it covers the perimeter of the building and our powers would be blocked - or taken away. I don't know. I don't get it either.

"Well, you three need to escape," Alyssa said, gesturing to me, Tyson, and Aidan. "Out of the five of us, you'll be most wanted by the Institute."

I glanced at Tyson, not really understanding why he had to escape. Mr. Miller was his father - or foster father, whatever. They were family. But... he had something to do in their plan. Or at least that's what I'm getting from what she's saying.

"But then, what about you two?" Okay, I didn't exactly like Jessica but she's trying to be nice to me, even when I'm not, She can't stay here. Alyssa too, she can't stay here with her psycho father.

"Well," Alyssa started. "Because I'm dad's favourite daughter-"

"You're his only daughter," Tyson cut in.

She glared at him. "Well, because I'm his only blood child, I got access to a lot of restricted areas. Including-"

"The control rooms," Aidan finished off.

Alyssa smiled. "Exactly. The fence has to have some sort of programming into it to disable the Evolutians powers."

"And that's when I come in." Jessica was now sitting on the dark blue couch by the window, newly installed after I moved in. "I'm pretty good with computers, if I do say so myself. I could go in and disable the fence - and maybe add a few obstacles so that the Institute's coders can't get in that easily, then we'll meet you guys outside and BAM... we're gone."

"Okay, okay, I know I was part of making the plan but why am I not hacking into the fence's system?" Aidan questioned. "I'm probably a better hacker than Jessica."

"You wanna bet, Davis?" Jessica's blue eyes glared at him. Aidan gulped and shook his head.

"Nope, I think you're the better hacker." He backed away nervously from the girl as me, Tyson, and Alyssa started laughing.

"So," Tyson said, steering the conversation back. "Plan: yes? No? Maybe?"

"Why are you asking me?" I questioned.

"You already escaped before."

"Yeah, and look where it got us."

He sighed. "But there has to some way to get out of here."

I lay my head back on the pillow. "Why do you care this much about escaping? Doesn't your father gain a lot of money from this?"

"Yeah, but we actually understand what's right and wrong," Tyson countered. His blue eyes were focused on me. Looking at them, there's something that lets me know that I can trust him. "We also care about you guys - our friends."

"Nothing was the same after both of you were gone," Alyssa added. "You were always the fun two in the school."

"Thank you for making me welcome in this conversation." Jessica clearly let us know she was still there.

"But really Jess," Tyson continued. "There was never a dull moment when these two were at school. There was never a rule they didn't break."

I placed a hand over my heart. "I've never felt so honored."

"Same," Aidan agreed. "Were we legends?"

"Basically."

"Dammit, we could've be ruling high school but instead we're stuck here." He frowned.

Alyssa shrugged. "High school isn't that great."

The sound of a number of items falling to the floor suddenly rang through the hallway and made it to my room. We all jumped since the sound came out of no where.

"Who was that?" Jessica asked in a whisper. "If that's your mom, Lauren, we're in big trouble."

"What? Why?"

"She said we can't come in your room," Aidan explained.

I looked at them wide-eyed. "Then why are you here in the first place?"

"Because we wanted to be rebels and make sure you're okay," Alyssa said. "That's how good of friends we are."

I untangled myself from the sheets, heading towards the door. "Don't. Go. Anywhere." I told the others.

I walked out the door barefoot, the cold tiles feeling nice against my warm feet. I let my hand touch the wall, gliding it as I walked.

Mom was not at the front door, but dad and Spencer were. Dad smiled, as he headed towards the kitchen, a hand running through his brown hair. Spencer's school stuff was dumped on the floor - which is probably what made the sound that we heard. Spencer himself was half-passed out on the couch.

"Are you okay?" I asked as he stirred awake. "Weren't you supposed to be back hours ago?"

"I had practice... and homework... and stuff... school isn't fun," He mumbled. "Do you have a pillow?" He shifted on the couch, burying his face in his sweater.

"Get your own... and maybe take a shower while you're at it. You stink."

"Wow, I thought you were nicer to me than other people." He sat up. I noticed the dark circles around his eyes and just how not-okay he looked. "I feel sick."

"You look sick. Go to bed."

He yawned. "Since when have you been my mother?"

"I know sleep makes everything feel better." I smiled.

He groaned as he got up. "I guess you're right. I'll see you in the morning, 'kay?"

I nodded as he kissed my forehead and headed to his room. I got comfortable on the couch, turning the TV on.

"Is it safe?" Aidan asked, his head poking into the living room. "Has the evil serpent left the station."

I laughed and nodded. The four of them joined me on the couch, flipping through the channels to find something good. Aidan wrapped an arm around me, holding me close to his chest.

All was going well until I heard a sound coming from the same hallway as Spencer's room.

The sound of a body hitting the floor. Hard.