Chapter Seventeen

a/n: thank you for #90 in sci fi. y'all are amazing!

-- : --

The headphones dangled around my neck as I continued to stare at the monitor. I honestly didn't understand why it shocked me so much - the fact that she only had one power. It freaked me out that it's possible to have one. I was just so used to having multiple... Mr. Miller's plan wanted to give everyone in the world powers.

But would we all have the same types? Same amounts?

Jessica said they were a mistake. But they're still alive.

"Lauren." Alyssa placed a hand on my shoulder. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah... yeah, I'm fine... it's just-" Tears started forming at the corners of my eyes. It hurt seeing Aidan spend so much time with Jessica. It's supposed to be me and him. He's supposed to trust me. I'm supposed to be the one he tells everything too.

But apparently, 'he has no one to tell.'

"I'm gonna get his memories back," I stated, removing the headphones around my neck and started head towards the door.

Tyson grabbed my wrist, stopping me. "How are you supposed to do that? They're memories."

"If they can take them away, there has to be a way to bring them back." I countered, though I knew that was wrong. It could've been a permanent swipe. "If we can't, I'm gonna tie him to a chair and tell him the truth."

Tyson raised an eyebrow. "Um... very violent approach. Remind me not to mess with you."

I smiled as I turned the doorknob, exiting into the hallway.

"Wait," Alyssa asked. "Where are you going?"

"My mom's office," I told her. "There's a bunch of files in there. Maybe it has something about the memory swipe."

"Lauren, why do you even care so much?" Tyson asked. I kicked him in the shins. "OW! What was that-"

"I don't want to loose him as a friend," I told him. "I don't want him to think of me as a monster for the rest of my life. Besides, it's kind of my fault that he lost them. The Institute wanted me out of his life."

"Why thought?" Alyssa asked. "You guys are a great team so if they want this plan to work, shouldn't you be building a good team?"

I shrugged. Now that I think of it, when we were younger and at the Institute, there wasn't much involving teamwork. It was always fighting lessons, rapid answer games. It was always everyone for themselves.

Do they want it that way? Everyone for themselves?

I stayed close to the wall, trying to be as invisible as possible as I headed towards my mother's office.

Wait a second, I could turn invisible.

With a simple thought, I was hidden to the naked eye. How did I know? Tyson's and Alyssa's shocked faces were a good hint. I whispered to them that I was still there.

Alyssa jumped. "Goddammit, Lauren. Next time you're gonna turn invisible, let us know before hand."

I chuckled. Being invisible is way too much fun.

I remembered the route to her office on the back of my hand - or maybe that was because of my photographic memory. Either way, the route there was easy. Knowing if she was in there was the challenge.

After revealing myself to my two friends, I placed and ear on the door, trying to pick up any sign of my mom in there. It was dead silence.

"Okay, it's clear," I told the two.