Chapter Nineteen

"Lauren, don't," Spencer warned. He stood in front of my bedroom door, watching me pack my backpack. Clothes, hairbrush, books: the necessities were tossed inside. Mother and dad were in the hospital after the 'little incident'.

There was nothing stopping me. I could teleport out of here and there's that. I could go back to our house and stay there, though my parent probably would look their first. The important thing was that I'd be gone.

If Spencer let me out of my room.

"I swear, I'm going to jump out of this window if you don't let me pass," I threatened him. "That or I'll toss you across the room."

"What happened?" He asked in response, though I did notice the terror that spread across his face for a second. "You talked to Aidan, right? What happened then?"

I didn't say anything, just tried to get around the six-feet giant in front of me.

"Lauren, I'm not letting you pass," He stated.

I tossed my arms in the air. "When does anyone let me do anything?" I complained. "Move, brother."

"What's wrong?"

"I'm turning into mom!" I blurted out. He looked confused for a second, wondering what I meant. I continued: "Mom... mom enjoys hurting people. You - you know that. She enjoys seeing people get hurt-"

"Lauren..." He gulped. "Lauren you don't like that though. You-"

"I let her burn to death!" I cried. Tears started forming. "I didn't even look back. You tried to stop me and I just continued. I didn't stop the fire before leaving. I... I... I..."

I was sobbing into his shirt, the smell of our lavender fabric softener filling my nose.

"I don't want to hurt anyone else," I cried. His fingers were in my hair and I held him tightly.

"Um... you're kind of hurting me now," He stated. I released my grip, stepping back.

"I'm so-sorry. I re-really am." I stumbled over my words. "I'm meant to hurt people, aren't I?"

"Lauren, you're being ridiculous," Spencer said. "You hate seeing your friends hurt and-"

"But I hurt Aidan. I dragged his skull across the hard ground. I spilled his blood all over. You had to peel me off him."

"But, Laur-"

"I hurt that girl. In training," I panted. "I hurt her so much that she fell unconscious and - and she never woke back up. I - I killed her. I've had the label murderer pasted on me for weeks now."

"That was just-"

"Face it, I actually do enjoy hurting people. I like watching people bleed to death."

"And you think that running away on your own will help you?" Spencer asked.

I tucked my hands in my pockets and looked down at the floor. "It'll keep me away from everyone I care about. I won't be able to hurt you."

Spencer sighed. "Lauren, you know that the fence is protected, right?"

"If I'm stronger than everyone else, maybe I could get passed it," I say. "And then I'll just super speed my way to somewhere in the world."

I grabbed my bag and started walking out the door.

"Lauren, wait." Spencer grabbed my wrist and stopped me. "we're going to escape all together in a few weeks. Just wait."

"I don't want to hurt anyone else, Spencer."

"You won't."

"I will."