Chapter Thirty-Two

"Wha - what are you doing here?" I asked dad. He wore his winter jacket unzipped and didn't take it off yet. His cheeks were rosy-red from the cold, snow dusted his brown hair. His blue eyes glinted from the artificial light.

"Look, I know you're mad but-" Dad started but I cut him off.

"I'm not mad." I got up from the couch, walking towards him. I'm not mad, right? He did nothing. Mom did. "I'm just... confused."

Dad bit his lip, tucking his hands in his pockets. "I'm still sorry... for everything sweetie." His voice started trailing off. "I should have stopped her," He said in barely a whisper. Dad wasn't meeting my eyes, even if I tried too. I could tell he felt really bad. He wanted to make everything better.

"Are you here to take me back?" I asked. You could hear the sadness in my voice as I gulped down tears. It was fun while it lasted, I thought. Being free, acting like a normal teen was fun. 

Yet, at the back of my mind, I was stirring up a plan to take Dad down if he happens to take me back. I'm not going back that easily, I thought I made it clear.

"No, of course not," He replied just as I was about to strike. He jumped back in surprise and Spencer grabbed my hand before I got a chance to create a ball of electricity in my palms. He didn't say another word until I got my head around what he said.

He wasn't going to take me back? Then why...?

"We're going... we're going to the palace," Dad said, though there was... he struggled to say that sentence. "Or, at least you, Lauren." He looked up at Spencer. "She doesn't...?"

"Not the entire thing, at least," Spence responded. "She figured most of it herself, I'm pretty sure."

His arm was draped around my shoulders, but not for long as I shrugged it away. "By "her" do you mean me, because I'm right here, if you couldn't see. Also, why dad? Why now and why drag me there, too. I'm tired." Then I added: "Is this Institute work?"

Dad looked down to the floor, his lips quivering. I could see tears stuck in the corner of his eyes as he tried to hold them back.

"I'm not going back to the Institute, Lauren."

-- : --

Dad and King Jacin were upstairs, talking for half an hour now. It came to a shock for everyone, especially the king when Dad walked into the front door of the palace telling the king that they needed to talk. Now. He didn't even question any further, following Dad upstairs.

Aidan, Tyson and Jessica were ready to strike the moment they laid eyes on Dad. I knew they knew that he didn't do anything bad, but they refused to take their eyes off him. He was still linked to the Institute as far as they were concerned. I sent them a silent message, telling them that he was fine... for now.

"When do you think they'll come down?" Aidan asked, tracing his finger on the plate. "The smell is making me hungry."

Laying in front of us was a rainbow of dishes, from rare meats to pasta. All smelled irresistibly good, making our mouths water at the sight. However, none of us were allowed to touch the food yet, not until everyone was present for dinner. Hayden was beginning to whine, hunger filling his stomach.

"Bro, you know those aren't good table manners, right?" Tyson told him, walking around the table. He was curious on what was happening upstairs, just like probably everyone in the room. His pacing around the huge dining room gave a hint that he was anxious.

The dining room itself was a work of art. The walls were painted a royal blue and gold and there was a chandelier was hanging from the ceiling. A single, mahogany table sat in the middle of the room, surrounded by matching chairs. The table was designed to fit at least twenty people.