Chapter Forty-Five

I fingered the object while sitting in bed in the dark room. Exhaustion filled my bones but I couldn't sleep without knowing why I received this from... from my mother. She probably didn't think I would notice but I saw her slip it in my pocket as she led my in the office.

It felt like a watch. It looked like a watch. But I knew it wasn't one; she wouldn't have slipped it in my pocket if it was just a watch.

There was a cover over where the time would've been. I flipped it open and immediately, a hologram appeared in front of me. I dropped the object on the bed, startled, and the image disappeared.

I grabbed it again, flipping it open. The hologram image appeared again and this time, I could see what it actually was about.

An image of me was staring back, my indigo eyes seeming tense and serious. I wasn't smiling, adding to the seriousness. My hair was down, resting on my shoulders, a few strands covering my eyes.

I don't remember taking the photo.

Underneath the picture was some basic information:

NAME: OLSEN, LAUREN ELIZABETH JESSICA
AGE: SIXTEEN
TITLE: COMMANDER
STATUS: MISSING, UNCONTROLLED

I gulped. What was this? A digital, portable file on me or something? Why do I have it now?

The hologram changed, moving the image on me to one side. A list of words appeared in front of me, the title of the list: ABILITIES.

The list went on and on, naming abilities I've never even heard of, let alone knew I had. It scared me - realizing I had all of these abilities. Most people didn't even know human beings could have supernatural powers, yet here I am being able to conjure so many of them. This was said to only belong in fantasy and sci-fi books. How is the Institute capable of all this?

As the list slows down, I notice something: a small x next to some of the list items. As if the hologram was a screen, I placed my finger on one of the small x's. Above it, a small information box appeared, with the word DEACTIVATED.

"Deactivated?" I muttered to myself. "Why would they deactivate abilities?"

And then the wheels in my brain started turning. If I could see what's deactivate, could I possibly... get rid of my powers?

I scrolled back to the top of the hologram list, finding the abilities that weren't deactivated. Hm... which isn't that important?

I click one, the option coming up immediately.

DEACTIVATE FORCE FIELD MANIPULATION?
YES        NO

My finger hovered over the word YES, ready to get rid of the power. That is, until I heard a knock from the door, followed by a "Lauren, are you awake?"

I flipped the cover of the projector down, slipping the watch-thing underneath my covers. I wasn't going to let anyone see it yet. "Come in," I say, stiffing a yawn.

Jessica entered the room, flicking the lights on. "You still aren't asleep yet? You seemed exhausted when you walked in the palace."

"You were there?" I asked, sinking into the pillows placed behind me.

"I was around," She said, taking a seat on the foot of the bed. "Now Lauren, I know you can be stupid but I didn't know you could be that stupid. What in the world were you thinking?"

"I just wanted to-"

She cut me off. "Has dating Cole got to you? Has it messed up your brain that much. You could've gotten him killed."

CaughtOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara