Chapter 12

They Say Love Hides Behind Every Corner. I Must Be Walking in Circles

Chapter 12

The day had finally come.

The day I had to go to that dreaded place.

School.

But it was worse now, because of the fact that I not only had to go as Serena Magnus, but school was now Ridgeway. That place had hallways and classrooms chock full of people I despise.

“Serena, come on!” Matt groaned. “I have to pee!”

I was hogging the bathroom, like I usually did every morning. Damien couldn’t stand it, either. The thought made me sad. It made me realize how much I wanted to go home.

I was just glad I had managed to control myself when I saw Forrest. I knew I would end up doing something I would regret later, so I called it a night after my New Year’s kiss with Finn. He understood that there was nothing going on between us, that it was only because of the occasion.

“Serena!” he wailed.

I rolled my eyes, and decided to just leave my hair to air dry. I was too lazy to even put it up. My hair was so much easier to handle, because of its length. I missed it.

I swung open the door and Matt breathed a sigh of relief. He pushed past me and ran into the bathroom, slamming the door shut behind him.

I grabbed my bag and headed downstairs. Liv had made waffles and French toast for breakfast. “Yum,” I said happily as I grabbed a waffle, a piece of the French toast, and a glass of milk. I sat down and scarfed it down. I hadn’t had anything to eat since dinner yesterday. I had fallen asleep in my room, gone downstairs, greeted a few people, kissed Finn and gone to sleep. Food hadn’t fit into the agenda. That made me sad.

I finished just as Matt came downstairs. He went straight for the door. “You’re not gonna eat?” I asked him incredulously.

“He ate half the food while you were upstairs,” Liv said with the roll of her eyes.

“Why do you think I had to pee so badly?”

I snorted, and got up, following Matt out the door. “Bye, Liv!” I called out.

“Bye!”

“So remember what I told you?” Matt asked me as I followed him into his car. It was a beat up 01 Sedan.

“About my life?”

He nodded.

“That I play volleyball, I don’t cheer, my best friend is Bethany, this dude Jared is my ex no matter what he says, and…?”

“That’s pretty much it,” he said.

Thank God.

&&&

“Oh, God, Serena! Why haven’t you answered my phone calls and texts?” Bethany, my apparent best friend, asked me. “I heard what happened and was freaking worried! I went to go see you but Liv wouldn’t let me in.”

This was my welcoming, as soon as I got out of Matt’s car.

“Oh, yeah, Liv’s been really protective since I lost my memory,” I said nonchalantly.

“I hear you’ve been inside for all of break,” Beth continued. “That’s insane.”

“I know,” I muttered.

“Did you hear what happened around the same time of your accident?” she asked.

“No.” I shook my head. “What happened?”