Chapter 34

They Say Love Hides Behind Every Corner. I Must Be Walking in Circles

Chapter 34

I glared at the evil bald man as best as I could in the dark, but then, remembering that he had the power to make or break me, I decided it would be of my best interest to quit my childish glaring. As much as I would have liked to give him my best evil eye, I supposed it would be more reasonable not to.

“Well… whassup, yo?” I greeted, sitting up in my bed and yawning loudly. I guess I was still tired. Well, of course I was. This guy had the habit of showing up in the middle of the night. He was going to be the cause of the bags under my eyes, and that would not make a very happy Shay. Actually, now that I thought about it, this guy was lucky I hadn’t punched or bitten him yet.

He just grunted at me and I had a good mind to go and bite him, but luckily, for him, at least, I managed to contain myself. I was sure that biting him wouldn’t help out very much, either, no matter how much I might have possibly enjoyed it. The thought made me sad, but this guy could change everything, again…

“I’m so, so, so, so, so, so, so freaking sorry!” I blurted out suddenly, hiding my face in my hands before looking up once more. “I swear, I didn’t mean to! Well, at the end I did, but I was peer-pressured into it! Okay, that’s a lie, ’cause I never give in to that crap, and I never will, but still! You’ve gotta understand! It was the only way to make sure Serena was happy, or else she wouldn’t have made a move on the Finn issue! That girl deserves to be happy! She’s, like, one of my best friends now, and I knew that she loved Finn, so I had to do something! I couldn’t just leave her hanging like that! I—”

“Relax,” the bald man interrupted. Man, I really needed to learn his name. I was getting kind of tired of calling him ‘the bald man’ or ‘the evil bald man’. “You’re not in trouble. Heavens, you’re annoying, kid.”

I beamed happily, mostly at myself. I liked hearing that I was annoying for some reason. I wasn’t sure why. It just made me feel like my life had meaning. Also, it was fun to hear that I had succeeded in driving someone insane. “I know.  It’s a gift, really. Most people probably wouldn’t agree, but I know a lot of people who’ve tried to annoy people and they just stink at it, so I’m thinking my ability to do it so easily must be a gift. I mean, I’m good at it, so it must be a gift, right? That’s why they call them gifts. I think. But anyways … What were we talking about again? Oh, right. You said I wasn’t in trouble. But how am I not in trouble? I mean, I figured I was in trouble after what I did, which I am very, very, very sorry for, by the way.”

“Honestly, if it was up to me, you would be in trouble, but our God works in mysterious ways.”

“Omigod, so Serena was right? She was actually right, for once in her life? Oh, alright, fine, she’s been right a lot of times in her life, but that’s no fun to say, now is it? But she was seriously right? Oh my God!” I was mostly talking to myself, since he obviously had no idea what I was going on and on about now, unless he had been spying on me, which in itself was likely, I suppose. How else would he be able to keep track of whether or not I had kept my end of the deal? The thought was still creepy, though. I mean, this guy was stalking me, practically. But what if it was his job, like the paparazzi? Except I wasn’t famous, so… “God is involved in this. Well, duh, of course He is. I mean, He’s involved in everything, so why not this? But … I mean, I just figured this was a punishment, but then again, I also figured that He had something to do with this but at the same time I didn’t… gosh, I’m confused.”

“I suppose this was all merely a test, and you somehow, miraculously, passed,” the bald man mused.

“Hey!” I found that offensive. “I am very much smarticle, mister, and I am very offended that you would dare imply otherwise! See how smarticle I’m talking? That’s a sign that… guess what? I’m smarticle!”