Chapter 13

They Say Love Hides Behind Every Corner. I Must Be Walking in Circles

Chapter 13

“What?” she asked and I could tell she was seriously confused.

I sighed, and once again regretted coming here. “Can I come in?”

She nodded absentmindedly, and I walked in. I went straight towards her room.

“Wait, how did you know where my room was?”

“I told you,” I said. “I’m not really Serena, but Shay.”

“Yeah, and I’m the new Tooth Fairy,” she retorted. “The Rock couldn’t handle it, so I’m taking over.”

I sighed. Maddie wasn’t my best friend for nothing. She was just like me. Her bullshit detector must have been off the charts. I know mine would’ve been.

“How can I prove to you that I’m telling the truth?” I asked.

“By letting me drive you to the Insane Asylum,” she responded.

I rolled my eyes. “Any other way?” I asked, and then added, “How about if I were to tell you that you’ve got a better chance with Paul now that you go to Ridgeway, too?”

“I’d say that anyone with eyes could see that I’m crazy for Paul,” she replied.

“But what about the fact that I know that Westley nearly murdered Forrest at our Sweet Sixteen party, because I let Forrest and Paul stay, so you could mingle with Paul?” I continued.

I knew I was breaking her. But still, she said, “I’d say that anyone who attended that party could have noticed.”

“How about the fact that you were the one who invited him, you went over for God knows what reason, and ended up leaving with two missing invitations,” I insisted. “Or when Jasmine and I got pissed at each other, you went to go get Forrest, of all people, to help us work things out. And what about the time we nearly went to Juvy for causing a fight between two security guards way back? Do you remember when we used to get up at six in the morning to go to Free Donut Saturday when we were nine? Does any of that ring a bell?”

Maddie’s eyes glistened. “Oh, God, of course I remember all of that. But I thought you were missing, or dead, or something!”

I reached out and we hugged.

“I didn’t think I’d ever see you again,” Maddie admitted.

“God, I hope not,” I muttered.

She pulled away. “But what the hell are you doing in Serena’s body?”

“I have no idea!” I sighed. “I just remember passing out in the bathroom, and waking up as Serena. I’ve been in lockdown for trying to escape.”

“You don’t remember anything else?”

I shook my head.

“So what are you gonna do now?” she asked.

“I don’t know,” I admitted. “I have no clue. But I don’t think we can tell Jasmine.”

“Why not?” Maddie demanded.

“I really wanna be able to tell her,” I said with a sigh. “But you know Jazz. She loves gossip, and could accidentally blurt something out for gossip points, or mention something without realizing.”

Maddie frowned. “You’re right. But how am I supposed to look her in the eye when she’s sad about you being supposedly missing and just lie?”