Chapter 35

They Say Love Hides Behind Every Corner. I Must Be Walking in Circles

Chapter 35

“Ow,” I muttered to myself, rubbing my temples absentmindedly because of my killer headache as I tried to decide whether or not I should open my eyes. I was sort of dreading it, especially after the whole fortune-cookie-blackout. I hadn’t even eaten that stupid thing yet! How could the cookie have upset my stomach or whatever the heck it was that it did to me? Gosh. I was weaker than I had thought. This thought made me sad. I wanted to be badass, like every other person in the world secretly hoped for. I didn’t want to be the type of person who fainter because of a freaking fortune cookie!

“Looks like she’s awake,” a male voice I recognized as Paul’s said with a snicker.

What the heck was Paul doing here? But then, when I realized he had snickered, I reached out and blindly swatted, trying to smack Paul, but apparently, I hit Ceci instead, if her cry of pain told me anything. Actually, it wasn’t a cry of pain. It was just her being a drama queen, as usual. Wait, no, that’s me.

“Ow, what the hell?” she complained, and I felt a sharp pain on my leg where she slapped me back.

“Ow!” I screeched five seconds after she hit me. It took me about five seconds for me to realize something hurt, usually. Don’t judge!

“Okay, that’s enough!” Jasmine scolded, and I could just see her shaking her head at us.

I heard Ceci’s grumbled response and I felt so proud at that moment. She was becoming more and more childish by the day! It was awesome!

“Are you gonna open your eyes?” Forrest asked me, prodding my side.

This earned a smile and a giggle from me, but that was only because I was ticklish, I swear! I would not give in! I wouldn’t!

“I bet she’s just hoping to listen in on something good, like when she stayed crouched in the bushes just listening to you guys’ talk when she was ’sposed to be interrogating Forrest,” Maddie remarked with a snort.

“She was listening in on us that day?” Paul repeated incredulously. “Seriously?”

“How much did she hear?” Forrest sounded freaked out, while Paul just sounded amused. But then again, Paul wasn’t the one who confessed his love that day… but still!

And then, it clicked.

They remembered.

They remembered!

They actually remembered!

“Holy crap!” My eyes shot open along with my body. “You guys’ remember?”

“Yes, no thanks to you, missy,” Jasmine reprimanded me while shaking her head. “And we even told Ceci everything, too. Aren’t we awesome?”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah.” I waved my hand dismissively. “But how? How do you guys remember?”

And then, it clicked. Again. The fortune cookie. Had it been a sign from God, or something, since Chucky had mentioned something like that before? Of course, he hadn’t mentioned there being a fortune cookie involved, but still.

They all shrugged.

“We don’t know,” Forrest answered for the group. “We just suddenly… did.” He shrugged again.

I frowned, since I didn’t like feeling so puzzled because of everything. But then I realized that that was a stupid reason to be sad. Everything had been fixed! My life was awesome again, finally! Yes, I knew there would still be issues to work out, because when you were Shay, life wasn’t easy. Mostly because of things I caused, but still.