❥Chapter 6

Emily's Pov

Emily's Pov

"Disoriented. I guess that comes closest. Disoriented. Fear, confusion. All those things, but disoriented comes closest." Officer Grimes explained. It was night and we were all sitting by the fire. Officer Grimes was telling us how it felt to wake up in the hospital and the whole world be dead. Carl and I hadn't left his side since he got back. Right now, Carl was basically laying in his parent's laps and I had my head laying on Officer Grimes's shoulder. 

"Words can be meager things. Sometimes they fall short." Dale said, sitting his drink down. 

"I felt like I'd been ripped out of my life and put somewhere else. For a while I thought I was trapped in some coma dream. Something I might never wake up from." Officer Grimes continued. Carl looked up him as he spoke. 

"Mom said you died." he said, catching his father's attention. Officer Grimes looked down at his son with gentle eyes. 

"She had every reason to believe that." he said. Lori looked at my dad with cold eyes. Dad just stared back. I knew exactly what happened right then. Dad left Officer Grimes because he thought he was dead or it was too dangerous to get him out, then told Lori, Carl, and I that he was dead. I took my attention away from the two adults with unsolved issues and looked at Carl.

"Don't you ever doubt it. Your mom wouldn't lie to you about something like that if she had known he was alive." I said, smiling at him. He smiled back at me, then rested his head on his father's chest as Lori stroked his hair. 

"When things started to get really bad, they told me at the hospital that they were gonna medevac you and the other patients to Atlanta. And it never happened." Lori explained herself. Tiredly, I curled myself into Officer Grimes's side. 

"Well, I'm not surprised after Atlanta fell. And from the look of that hospital, it got overrun." Officer Grimes replied. Dad sat his drink down, looking towards his best friend.

"Yeah, looks don't deceive. I barely got them out, you know?" he said. I closed my eyes. It had been an emotional day, and I was exhausted.

"I can't tell you how grateful I am to you, Shane. I can't begin to express it." Officer Grimes said. The rest of the group had been quiet watching the heartfelt exchange. I almost forgot they were there until Dale spoke up. 

"There go those words falling short again. Paltry things." he said. At that moment, Ed Peletier threw another log into there fire that was separated from the group. 

"Hey, Ed. You want to rethink that log?" Dad called over to the mean man. 

"It's cold, man." Ed shot back. 

"The cold don't change the rules, does it? We keep our fires low, just embers, so we can't be seen from a distance, right?" dad stated. 

"I said its cold. You should mind your own business for once." Ed said. The sound of shuffling feet made me open my eyes. Dad had walked over to the Peletier fire and had his hands on his hips.