❥Chapter 38

The few of us that were still on the farm gathered around the dining table

The few of us that were still on the farm gathered around the dining table. Dad sat at the end of the table as though he was the man of the house, which was clearly Hershel's spot. It was dark out, and Rick and Glenn still hadn't returned with Hershel.

While I was asleep in the woods, Beth collapsed. It was only then that they realized Hershel was gone. Maggie and Lori thought that Beth had gone into shock after what happened earlier today, but Hershel wasn't there to tell them if she actually was.

"Carl, I want you to keep your head up, okay?" My dad stated as he grabbed the basket of rolls from across the table and placed one on his plate, Carl's, and my own. "Your old man, he's the toughest son of a-"

"No cussing in the house." Patricia interrupted him, coldly. I didn't blame her after what she just experienced because of him. She had a right.

My dad simply muttered, "Sorry."

"Lori, dinner!" Carol called for my best friend's mother as I waited patiently for everyone to take a seat before eating.

"She's not in there." Maggie replied, causing everyone to look at her.

"Where is she?" Dale asked. Everyone was quiet and looking at each other. A wave of worry washed over me. We'd already had a traumatic day, and we didn't need another person missing.

When she didn't respond, my dad turned to Carl. "Carl, when's the last time you saw your mom?"

"This afternoon." He replied, making my dad sit back for a minute and think.

Andrea quickly stated, "She was worried about Rick, asked me to look in on Carl."

"She went after them?"Carol asked, panic sweeping her voice.

"She didn't say that." Andrea replied. Dad stood from his seat, everyone following behind.

"Nobody panic. gonna be around her somewhere." he stated, walking out of the room.

Carl and I helped search the upper rooms of the house while Maggie, Patricia, and Carol searched downstairs. Dad, Dale, T, and Andrea searched the tents, barn, and stables. Everyone met on the front porch when they were done searching. When dad's group came back with no Lori, Carl gripped my hand in worry.

"She's not out there?" he asked my dad. Dad simply shook his head and Andrea put her hands on Carl's shoulder in comfort. I looked around at the group, pondering where she could be when an idea came to mind.

"Wait a minute. What about Daryl?" I asked, "He's a tracker. He could track her for us."

"That's a good idea, Emily. I'll go talk to him. He moved his camp farther from ours, so if she went into the woods on that side of the farm he would've spotted her." Carol stated, placing a hand on my shoulder.

"I'll go too." I stated, smiling up at her.

"No!" My dad and Carl's voices echoed in my ears. A pressure suddenly tightening on my hand. I glanced over to my best friend with a pleading look which was returned with a nod and Carl let go of my hand.