❥Chapter 37

"Dale?" Lori's voice entered my ears unwillingly

"Dale?" Lori's voice entered my ears unwillingly. "Will you take Carl and Emily up to the house? I want you both to rest. You've had an eventful day."

Carl stood first while I stayed numbly placed on the ground beside Sophia. "Come on, Highlights. It'll be okay." He whispered down to me, holding a hand out for me to take. I looked up at him and stared into his bright blue eyes. I didn't see the spark of hope that was always there.

I stood without taking his hand. I stared down at Sophia one last time before looking over at Carl. He looked lost and hurt. He allowed his hand to fall back on his side. I stared at him as my vision became blurry. I stood there staring at him as my body shook with sobs. Carl reached out to me, but I stepped back.

"Don't!" I yelled, placing my hands over my face and wiping the tears and sweat off of it. "Just don't. This is my fault. I don't want to be the reason we lose you too."

Seeing Carl's face change to complete heartbreak, hurt me more, but I had to do it. I turned on my heel and ran towards the woods. Screams for me to stop filled the air and echoed, but didn't make me hesitate. I couldn't be near Carl. I didn't want to lose him the same way I lost Sophia. And if it meant I had to leave him, and risk my own life, then so be it because Carl deserves to live. I don't.

Once I was far enough that I couldn't hear the screams, I leaned against a tree and broke down. I slid down the tree and pulled my knees to my face. I knew I would have to go back eventually, but it wasn't going to be now. And when I did, I wouldn't be near Carl, I couldn't be.

"Emily!" a voice called to me, "Emily!"

I looked around to find the voice. "Up here, baby girl."

I looked up to see my mom looking down at me from a tree limb. She was smiling down at me, and waved me up. I stood and began to climb the tree to the limb she was sitting on. Slowly and carefully, I crawled over to where she was on the tree limb and sat beside her. I stared at her in awe. She hadn't changed a bit in the years since she passed. She looked alive and healthy.

"Baby girl, why are you out here?" She asked, looking down at me with her bright white smile.

"My friend.. We found her as a walker. It's my fault that she was one to begin with." I looked down at my hands. I was terrified my mother wouldn't be happy with me.

"No, Emily. Sophia didn't get bit and turn into a walker because of you. She was meant to get bit." My mom stated, moving a dirty strand of hair behind my ear.

"How can you say that?" I asked, almost angered at her for saying such a thing.

"Everything happens the way it is supposed to, remember?" She looked me in the eye. I simply nodded, and she continued speaking. "Sophia was brought into your life to show you that you aren't the only one your age that has been through things. She was also supposed to teach you to value the people around you while you can."