❥Chapter 13

Emily's POV

Emily's POV

"Most of the facility is powered down including housing, so you'll have to make do here. The couches are comfortable, but there are lots in storage if you like. There's a rec room down the hall that you kids might enjoy. Just don't plug in the video games, okay?" Jenner explained as he walked the group down a corridor to where we'd be sleeping. I followed behind the group, kind of off to the back. Jenner stopped and turned toward the group. "Or anything that draws power. The same applies if you shower, go easy on the hot water." he stated, before walking away.

Glenn turned back to look at everyone with wide eyes. "Hot water?" he asked, his excitement seeping through his words.

"That's what the man said." T-Dog confirmed. Before he finished his sentence, he and Glenn took off to find their rooms and take a shower.

Everyone scattered to find their rooms. I didn't really want to share a room with my dad tonight because of him being a little drunk. Nothing good ever happened when he's drunk. So instead of following him to his room, I tapped Sophia on the shoulder.

"Hey, Soph?" I asked, when she turned to me with smile.

"Yeah, Ems?" she questioned. Mrs. Carol had went ahead to find their room for the night.

Suddenly I was shy and looked down in embarrassment. "Do you think I could stay with you and your mom tonight? My dad's not the nicest person when he's not sober." I stated.

She placed her small hand on my shoulder causing me to look up. "I'm sure my mom wouldn't mind you staying with us. I'm also sure that we understand that better than anyone here, Ems." she said, grabbing me by the arm. "Now come on my newly adopted little sister. We're bunking together." she giggled, beginning to lead me down the hall.

"Now wait a minute!" a voice called behind us. We both turned around to see Carl standing there holding his bag with an unamused look on his face.

Sophia simply looked at him with curious and innocent hazel green eyes, but the small mischievous smile pierced through her innocent look. "What?" she asked, bluntly.

Carl stepped forward. "You know what you're doing. Don't play dumb Sophia." he stated, with an aggravated look that I've seen multiple times.

"I have no idea what you are talking about, Carl. I'm simply letting Emily stay with me and my momma." Sophia fired back, calmly. I was beyond confused.

"Guys, what's up with you two?" I asked, mainly looking at Carl. He noticed that I was focused on him and looked to the ground as his cheeks flushed red. That was unusual for him.

"Nothing Em. Um, just I wanted to make sure you had somewhere to sleep tonight. I know how it gets with Shane. And how uncomfortable you get." Carl said, not looking me in the eye. I walked over to Carl and lifted his head. He still wouldn't look me in the eye. So I grabbed both sides of his head and put our foreheads together.