❥Chapter 32

The sounds of birds chirping and a rooster crowing woke me up, bright and early

The sounds of birds chirping and a rooster crowing woke me up, bright and early. I groggily rolled over which caused me to land in the floor of the RV face first.

"Owwww." I grumpily said, rubbing my small, hurt nose. Laughter made me groan. "Carl, go away. It's too early in the morning." I stated, still half asleep. I wrapped my blanket around me more and cuddled Amaris.

"Well geez, highlights. I thought you'd be happier to see me since we were separated." Carl's angelic voice rushed through my ears. My bluebell eyes instantly open when I realized that it was really Carl's voice and not a figment of my imagination. I quickly turned over on the RV floor to see Carl's wide smile and blue eyes staring back at me.

"Carl!" I happily yelled, throwing my blanket aside and wrapping my arms around his neck. He groaned at the force and I pulled away. Worry took over my body, "Are you okay? I'm so sorry! I completely forgot. I'm so st-"

Carl interrupted me by pulling me back into his arms once again. Tears welled up in his blue eyes as he held me tightly. "I thought I had lost you. When Dad didn't bring you or Sophia back.." he trailed off, his voice soft and full of emotions.

"I'm here now, Carl. I'm not leaving again. Now we just have to find Sophia." I stated, pulling away from him. I wiped the stray tears that had began leaving my eyes when he started speaking, then I wiped his.

He stared at me for a while, not speaking. I tried to read his eyes to know what he was thinking, but I was being looked at with an expression I had never seen from him. It was the same look that Daryl gave my mom all the time.

"Well, I see you finally woke her up." A voice interrupted Carl's deep staring. Lori walked stepped into the RV with a bright smile on her face.

"Technically, I didn't wake her up." Carl smiled at his mom, "She fell off the couch and I started laughing at her." He laughed again in my direction. I lightly hit his arm and he pouted. I rolled my eyes.

"Well, get up you two. Maggie asked this morning if I'd feed the chickens, so you're going to help." Lori smiled at us. I could see that she was as happy as I was that Carl was back on his feet and normal once again.

Carl and I both said "Yes, ma'am" and "Yes, Mom." at the same time before standing to our feet and following her out of the RV.

꧁꧂

It wasn't long before we were all throwing corn to the chickens. Lori had sat down on a bucket throwing feed, while Carl and I stood around doing the same. Every now and then, Carl and I would crack a smile at each other, but stayed quiet.

I had noticed that it wasn't actual chickens that we were feeding, but chicks. It concerned me that they don't have a mother, but then the thought occurred to me that the Greene family may have eaten her because of everything going on. My stomach turned when I remembered that the meat we ate last night was chicken. I sat my bucket of feed down and planted myself on the ground where my feet once stood. Carl and Lori looked at me curiously, but I simply shrugged and continued to throw feed to the baby chicks.