❥Chapter 34

"Shush

"Shush.. Don't wake her up. Daddy said that she hasn't been sleeping well." A female voice said, quietly. I could hear footsteps echo in the room I'm in.

"You know she was curious about why you ran to the barn last night." Another girl's voice stated, "Do you think she could know something about it?"

"I don't think she does. Not unless Glenn told her." The first voice said, sadness piercing her voice. "If he tells anyone else.."

"Daddy, will make them leave." The second voice stated quietly.

"I don't want them to leave. I.. I think I love Glenn. What am I going to do if they leave?" Sobs racked my eardrums. "How will I be able to find someone else?"

Shooshing took over my ears before silence erupted in them once again. It felt as though I had been sleeping for ages. My body felt numb, and my bluebell eyes struggled to open. Once they did, I quickly took noticed that the sun was just rising over the field by looking out the living room window of the Greene's house. I slowly stood to my sleepy feet. Stumbling a bit, I began to walk out the front door and headed straight for camp.

The only one up was Daryl, and he was just sitting in a lawn chair quietly sharping his knife. I took a seat on a stump underneath a tree near him. He didn't even look at me so I just laid my head against the trunk.

"Ya ain't gonna say nothing? Just gonna sit there?" he grunted in my direction. I cracked one eye open to look at him, but I just closed it once more and allowed my face to soak in the rising sun. "You're so much like ya momma that it ain't funny."

I snickered, "How's that?"

"Some days she was all for waking up and watching the sun rise. Others it was so dam hard to get her out of the bed before noon." he grunted, "But no matter how she felt, she loved feeling the sun on her skin."

"I think it's a good thing I'm like my mom. That means I'll grow up to be a good person." I stated, opening my bluebell eyes to see Daryl smiling at me in his unique Dixon way.

"You got that right. I may not have known your mom for long, but I could tell she was a good person. You got lucky with having two great parents. An EMT and a police officer. Can't get better than that." My dad's voice suddenly filled my ears as he walked over to the dying campfire.

Daryl placed his attention back on his knife and remained silent. I simply nodded my head at my dad and started playing with a piece of grass as everyone began to wake up and gathered around the fire that he had restarted.

Before long, eggs were cooked over the fire and passed out to everyone, who silently ate them. I stayed in my place underneath the tree. Carl was one of the last ones to wake up and took his place beside his parents near their tent. We both smiled at each other as a sign of 'Good morning'. The eggs tasted bland without any seasoning, but were better than canned ravioli.