❥Chapter 31

It was later in the evening and the sun had begun to set when we finally finished making dinner for everyone

It was later in the evening and the sun had begun to set when we finally finished making dinner for everyone. Everyone gathered around the big table in the dining room, taking their seats. Carol had gone to get Lori from Carl's room.

Halfway through cooking dinner, Carl had woken up and Lori went to check on him and keep him company under the demands of Maggie, who had returned from talking to her father. Once Lori and Carol arrived and took their respected places at the table, the only two people missing were Carl and Daryl, who were both still bedridden.

After placing the large bowl of mashed potatoes on the center of the table, I took my place between Maggie and Beth at a separate table where the younger people sat.

The dinner was fairly quiet other than the sounds of forks hitting the glass plates as everyone ate. I didn't mind the quiet. After such an eventful few days, the quiet was quite peaceful in my opinion.

Taking a small bite out my mashed potatoes, I mentally sighed. This was the best cooking that I've had since the beginning. The potatoes tasted just like my mom used to make long before I had to cone live with Shane. Apparently, Carol used the same recipe as my mom, which warmed my heart.

I looked over at Beth, who was smiling and seemed to be having a conversation with Jimmy using her eyes. I smiled before looking over at Glenn. I could see the wheels spinning in his head as he tried to think of a way to start a conversation with everyone. A wide grin crossed his face as he came up with a conversation topic.

Turning in his seat to look at everyone at the big table, he spoke, "Does anyone know how to play guitar? Dale found a really cool one." When no one answered, he scoffed, "Somebody's got to know how to play."

"Otis did." Patricia spoke up. She was still heartbroken by the death of her husband and you could hear it in her voice.

"Yes, and he was very good too." Hershel stated, ending that conversation until I decided to speak up.

"I know how to play, Glenn." I spoke in a quiet voice. Glenn turned in his chair to look at me with a wide smile.

"You do?!" He asked, excitedly. I smiled at his reaction nodded gently. "Cool, then it's yours." He stated, happy that he found someone who could play guitar.

I continued eating, but after a few minutes I couldn't help but notice that Maggie and Glenn were exchanging something underneath the table. It looked like a note, but I didn't pay much attention to it.

After everyone had finished their dinner, I helped clean off the table. Carol had taken a plate of food to Daryl since he was the only one awake that wasn't at dinner. From my knowledge, Carl was still asleep. Lori had said while we were making the dinner that tomorrow Carl would be able to walk around again. I was excited that I'd finally be able to talk to my best friend again and spend time with him.