❥Chapter 19

Emily's POV

Emily's POV

I awoke to the sound of rooster crowing, and was startled at first because of my surroundings. Part of me wanted what happened yesterday to be a dream, but it wasn't. I'm separated from the group and Sophia is still missing. But another part of me was glad it wasn't a dream. If it had been a dream I wouldn't have met Maggie or Beth or the rest of their family.

I sat up in the warm bed and stretched my arms out. Wiping my eyes, I smiled at the sight of the sun rising through the window. The field was very beautiful with the tall grass and the sun rays gleaming through. Cows in the pastures. It almost seemed as though the dead hadn't risen and taken over.

A knock on the door pulled me from my trance. Maggie stepped in with a bright smile on her face. "Good morning. I got some clothes for you. My dad said that you should be able to get outside today. So I was wondering if you'd like to help me with the horses." She said, laying an outfit down on the bed.

"I'd love to." I smiled at the older female. I quickly got up and began to dress into the outfit I was given, after Maggie left the room. It was a simple outfit that consisted of blue jean shorts that reached my thighs and a loose t-shirt that had a dream catcher on the front of it. I slipped on my faded blue Converse and pulled my long, curly hair into a messy ponytail.

After inspecting myself in the mirror, I walked into the Greene's living room. I was informed by Beth, that Otis had already left for his daily hunt and probably wouldn't be back until dinner time. Patricia was tending to the chickens and Jimmy was feeding the cattle. Maggie had already gone on towards the stables and was waiting for me. Beth invited me to have a Bible study with her and Mr. Greene, but I politely declined. I didn't mind worship or prayer, but Maggie had asked me to help her first. I told Beth to catch me next time and I would gladly do a bible study with her.

Before I could walk out the front screen door, Mr. Greene stopped me and told me that I should at least eat an apple, and that it would help my energy level stay up. I quickly thanked him as he handed me the apple and walked to the stables, where I found Maggie already feeding the horses.

"They're such beautiful creatures. My best friend, Carl, would always tease me for liking horses so much. I can't help it though." I said, approaching her and the stallion she was feeding. She looked up at me with a bright smile.

"Seems like you understand the beauty of them. Here, why don't you help me brush her down?" She said, handing me a brush, "Now, you have to be careful. This one here is Nervous Nelly. She's really jumping."

I nodded to her and slowly walked up to the horse. She was quite jumpy and her eyes widened at the sight of me. I'm a stranger after all. It's understandable. "Easy, Nelly. I won't hurt you. Good girl." I soothed her, beginning to brush her mane.

She calmly allowed to me to continue brushing, when Maggie spoke up, "Wow. I'm impressed. Nelly never really takes kindly to strangers. Even Jimmy to this day can't brush her. She jumps up and scares the fire out of him." She laughed at her last sentence while I giggled. The thought of Beth's scrawny boyfriend trying to brush Nelly, yet jumping away in fear, sent a smile to my face.