❥Chapter 23

Emily's POV

"Why can't she know? She has the right to know!" I heard a male's deep voice shouting.

I was sitting in my room trying to read the book I had been given by Daryl for my birthday.

"Because she's too young! She wouldn't understand!" I heard my mother's voice echo throughout the apartment. It seemed to be coming from the living room, so I slowly tiptoed through the hallway and peeked around the corner to see what was happening.

"She's not too young! She's the smartest in her class! Do you think it's because of me?!" I see Daryl yell to my mother. His face was red from anger and you could see the hurt and anger mixed in his blue eyes.

"No, it's not you! She doesn't need to know anything! She's happy as she is right now! There's no need to change that!" My mother yelled back, pulling her long dirty blonde hair into a ponytail.

"Then why not tell her the truth?! If it isn't me, and she's as happy as you say, why can't we just tell her?!" He yelled, getting in my mother's face.

Tears sprung to her green eyes, and she looked down. "Because if something were to happen to me, Shane would get custody of her. His name is on the birth certificate. He's her 'biological' father." She croaked out, putting her hands to her face. Daryl looked heartbroken and taken back. He stepped back away from my mother's face.

She began talking again, looking up at Daryl. Tears ran down her face as his trickled his eyes. I couldn't hear what she was saying as everything began to feel distant and blurry.

They slowly faded away and I was now standing beside my mother's lawyer holding my mother's locket in my hand as it hung around my neck.

"In the case of Emily Grace Walsh, I hereby grant custody to the father on her birth certificate, Shane Walsh." The judge spoke in front of us. As the words left his mouth, Daryl stood from his seat and tried to run at the judge.

"No! He can't have her! He hasn't been there for her at all! She doesn't even know him!" He shouted, pushing at the policemen now holding him back.

Tears trailed my cheeks as I watched the scene unfold. The lawyer grabbed my hand and led me out of the courtroom as Daryl's voice started to fade out.

My surroundings began to blur like before and I was now in the school in Kings county. It was my first day. I was holding my books and playing with the locket again as I tried to manage my way through the halls when someone bumped into me sending me to the floor along with my books.

I look up and see a cute boy with entrancing blue eyes. His freckles crossed his pale cheeks perfectly as his mouth stood open at the sight of me on the floor. Carl..

He made a move to help me with my books when I turned to stop staring, but when he started to another boy came over and kicked my books across the floor.

I look up to see a blonde haired boy with emerald eyes looking down on me. Alexander Reeves.

"Watch where you're going, nerd! This is the reason newbies like you need to be put in your place." He scoffed. After kicking my books, he walked away like nothing happened.