❥Chapter 46

"Just stay upstairs

"Just stay upstairs." Lori instructed Carl and I.

Rick, Daryl, Glenn, and my dad went out to hunt for Randall. They think he slipped the cuffs they had used to keep him in the shed. My dad came up from the woods after T had gathered the group. His face was bloody, and he claimed that Randall had knocked him out and then took his gun. Something didn't settled right, and I had a weird vibe about the story he told.

"Emily," Lori's voice pierced through my ears and pulled me from my thoughts, "I know you're worried about them, but they will be fine. Go upstairs and wait until I call you down, okay?"

I nodded then followed Carl up the stairs. We had been instructed to stay in Beth's room, but Carl stopped me in the hall. He stared at me for a few minutes, almost like he was trying to decide on something. "Carl?"

He sighed, finally making up his mind. "Emily," My bluebell eyes widened as he said my actual name and grabbed my hand, "I have to do something, and you're not going to like it."

I stared at him confused as he stepped closer to me. My breath hitched in my throat as he did so. "I want you to stay here. I'm going to help my dad and Shane. Don't tell anyone, especially my mom. Stay safe, look after my mom, and I'll be back."

He kissed my cheek then climbed out the window onto the roof. I went over to the windowsill and watched as he climbed down the side of the house then ran through the yard into the dark. Once he was out of sight, I put a hand to my, now red, cheek. For some reason my heart jumped in joy, but then fear took over.

Carl. My best friend. Please be careful. I silently prayed, moving my hand to my chest.

꧁꧂

I quietly sat on the floor in the hallway next to Beth's bedroom door. I stared at a picture of Carl and I from a few months before this all started. We had fallen asleep on the floor watching a scary movie. He was laying down on his stomach and I was using his back as a pillow. Carl had drool going down his chin, and my hair was in a knotted mess, but we were sleeping peacefully without a care in the world.

Now here I am, waiting for him to get back to the house safely and hoping that this will all end soon, so we can all go back to the way it was before.

Rapid footsteps coming up the stairs down the hall took my attention away from the photo in my hand. Lori's scared face came into view as she ran over to me.

"Emily, grab your bag and turn off the lights." She frantically ran into Beth's room, telling the blonde and her boyfriend the same thing. I quickly stood at how frantic she was acting. It was beginning to scare me. She hadn't acted this intensely scared since the first night of all this.

"Lori, what is happening?" I asked, my voice suddenly squeaky with fear.

She ran down the hall continuing to turn lights out as she called out, "There's a herd of walkers headed straight for the house. We need to turn the lights off and stay quiet."