❥Chapter 36

"Shane!" Rick yelled, as my dad quickly approached him

"What the hell are you doing?" Was my dad's only response. I could tell he was beginning to see red.

"Shane, just back off." Rick demanded as he struggled to hold onto the pole that he was using to control the walker.

"Why do your people have guns?" Hershel asked Rick as he struggled with his own walker on a pole. As they got closer, the walkers became harder to control with humans in their sight.

Lori held Carl's hand as they finally made it to the scene. Carl held his side as he breathlessly watched the scene unfold.

"Are you kidding me? You see? You see what they're holding onto?" Dad yelled at the group, pointing at the walkers.

Hershel seemed fed up with my father's actions and argued back, "I see who I'm holding onto."

"No, man, you don't." My dad just wouldn't give up.

Rick stepped forward trying his best not to lose grip on the walker. "Shane, just let us do this and then we can talk." he tried to reason.

"What you want to talk about, Rick? These things aren't sick." His voice raised with each sentence. He turned to the group to preach his side. "They're not people. They're dead. Ain't gonna feel nothing for them 'cause all they do, they kill! These things right here, they're the things that killed Amy! They killed Otis! They're gonna kill us all!"

He proceeded to load his gun and call Hershel out, "Hey, Hershel man, let me ask you something. Could a living breathing person, could they walk away from this?"

He aimed his gun at the walker Hershel was holding and shot it three times causing the Greene family to be in distress. I ran over to Maggie and hugged her waist as my dad continued to mentally torture hers.

"That's three rounds in the chest. Could someone who's alive, could they just take that?! Why is it still coming?" More shots went off as I hid my face. "That's its heart, its lungs. Why is it still coming?"

Rick called out to his best friend, "Shane, enough."

"Yeah, you're right, man. That is enough." One last gunshot pierced the sky. I pulled my face from Maggie's side to see that my father had finished the walker and Hershel had fallen to his knees in despair. Maggie pulled from my arms and ran over to her father, so I stepped back to stand in front of Lori and Carl.

"Enough risking our lives for a little girl who's gone! Enough living next to a barn full of things that are trying to kill us! Rick, it ain't like it was before! Now if y'all want to live, if you want to survive, you got to fight for it! I'm talking about fighting right here, right now." Dad took off to the barn doors.

Rick started begging Hershel to take the other walker so he could stop my dad, but Hershel seemed to be in a trance. He stayed on his knees with a look of hopelessness as he watched my dad tear open the barn door.