❥Chapter 21

Emily's POV

Emily's POV

Mr. Greene entered the room wiping his hands with a rag, stopping dad and Rick's heartfelt conversation. Everyone stood at his entrance. "He's out of danger for the moment, but I need to remove those remaining fragments." He said.

"How? You saw how he was." Rick said.

"I know, and that was the shallowest one. I need to go deeper to get the others." Mr. Greene shot back. My jaw dropped as images of Carl writhing and screaming in pain shot through my head.

"Oh, man." Dad said, as he shot a look of sympathy my way. He knew Carl and I are close, and that I couldn't bear the thought of losing him.

"There's more." Mr. Greene went on.

"Tell us, Mr. Greene. We can take it." I said, standing from my spot by Maggie. Now I know I seem crazy for trying to be so brave, but this is my best friend and his father isn't in the best shape to take control on the subject. So if I have to demand answers, I will. He looked at me with a soft look before speaking.

"His belly is distended. His pressure's dropping, which means there's internal bleeding. A fragment must have nicked one of the blood vessels. I have to open him up, find the bleeder, and stitch it." I frowned as Mr. Greene said this. If he can't fix this, we'll lose Carl.. "And he can't move while I'm in there, I mean, at all. If he reacts the same as before, I'll sever an artery and he'll be dead in minutes." My heart skipped a beat as he said this and tears gathered in my bluebell eyes, but I refused to cry. "To even try this, I have to put him under. But if I do, he won't be able to breathe on his own."

"Same bad results." I muttered under my breath as Mr Greene nodded at my words.

"What'll it take?" Dad asked, stepping forward. There's no way we're just letting Carl die. We have to save him.

"You'll need a respirator." Otis spoke from his position in the room. Mr Greene nodded in agreement.

"What else?" Rick asked, still processing the situation.

"The tube that goes with it, extra surgical supplies, drapes, sutures." I said, crossing my arms over my chest.

"She's correct. I can see you know the medical field well, Emily." Mr Greene said.

"If you had all of that, you could save him?" Rick asked.

"If I had all of that, I could try." Mr. Greene responded. I crossed over and stood next to Rick.

Laying a hand on his shoulder I said, "Try is all we need Mr. Greene."

"The nearest hospital went up in flames a month ago." Maggie informed. I could see the wheels spinning in Otis's head.

"The high school." He said.

"That's what I was thinking. They have a FEMA shelter there. They would have everything we need." Mr. Greene said.