❥Chapter 45

Everyone pushed to honor Dale's death exactly how Rick had said

Everyone pushed to honor Dale's death exactly how Rick had said. We all worked to secure the farm as a team. The fences that the Greene family had worn down over the years of them being there, so walkers easily broke through. Thankfully, it was only a few and nothing like back at the highway.

"It'll be tight. Fifteen people in one house." I overheard Rick say as he stood in a small group.

"Don't worry about that. With the swamp hardening, the creek drying up." Hershel stated in return. Hershel had opened his heart after Dale's death and was now allowing us all to move into the house so we weren't exposed to the cold or potential walkers.

"With fifty cattle on the property, you might as well be ringing the damn dinner bell." Maggie chirped in. She was determined to have us stay inside the house, so that we all could be safer. I honestly think that Glenn would be under the same roof as her.

"She's right. We should've moved you in a while ago." Hershel agreed with his eldest daughter. From the start, the Greene family had taken care of me and welcomed me into their home. Once everyone else showed up, they were skeptical. Now, they were back to the way they were when I first met them.

"All right, let's move the vehicles near each of the doors facing out toward the road. We'll build a lookout in the windmill, another in the barn loft. That should give us sightlines both sides of the property. T-Dog, you take the perimeter around the house. Keep track of everyone coming and going." Rick started giving orders.

I walked over to help Carl pack things from their tent as the group began moving things. "Hey." I stated, as I entered the tent.

Carl looked up at me with a small frown. "Hey." he said, disheartened. He was packing some of his shirts into a bag. I sat down next to him and watched as he continued shoving his shirts into the bag, not speaking a word.

"You mind if I help?" I asked, looking at him from the corner of my eye. He shrugged his shoulders. I started helping him grab his clothes and handed them to him until I noticed one of my Harry Potter books under one of his pants. "Is this.. what I think it is?" I turned to him with a grin on my face.

"I don't know what you're talking about." He continued packing. He would glance at me from the corner of his eyes.

"I think you do know what it is." I smirked, "Why do you have my book?"

He stopped packing and looked at me before taking the book from my hands. "I took it because I wanted to know what a muggle was and why you always call me that."

"Then why are you taking it back?" I questioned.

He put the book in his bag on top of his clothes. "I'm not done with it yet."

I smirked at him before standing up. "Well, you can read it if you want. All you had to do was-"

Carl interrupted me by grabbing my hand. I looked down at him to see him looking at the ground. "Carl?"