❥Chapter 15

Emily's POV

Emily's POV

"Mom? Something wrong?" Carl asked. After Jenner closed himself off and wouldn't answer anymore questions, Rick, Dad, T-Dog, and Glenn all went downstairs to the basement to check on the generators. While they did that, the rest of us went back to our rooms. Carl and I had been reading when Lori suddenly began to wave her hand in front of the air conditioning vent.

"Nothing. It's just the air conditioning stopped." She said, turning towards us.

"What do you think is going to happen, Lori?" I asked, in wonder.
Before she could answer, the lights shut off. I grabbed Carl's hand by instinct. I glanced at him, then pulled my hand away. "Sorry." I said, blushed in embarrassment.

"It's okay. I know you don't like the dark." He said, smiling.

"Come on kids." Lori said, walking to the door. Carl and I got up and walked side by side. I kept tripping because I couldn't see where I was walking. I almost face planted when we stepped into the long hallway, but Carl grabbed my arm before I could.

"You're extremely clumsy, you know that right?" He said, holding my hand to keep me from falling.

Everyone in the hallway were questioning Jenner as he walked down the hallway, not listening to a word they were saying. He snatched Daryl's bottle of wine and took a huge swig of it. The group followed him into the big computer room for the second time today. Rick and the guys came running back into the room as well.

"Jenner, what's happening?" Rick asked, coming over to us.

"The system is dropping all the non-essential uses of power. It's designed to keep the computers running to the last possible second. That started as we approached the half hour mark." He said, looking right at the clock, "Right on time. It was the French."

"What?" Rick asked.

"They were the last ones to hold out as far as I know. While our people were bolting out of the doors and committing suicide in the hallways, they stayed in the labs until the end. They thought they were close to a solution." Jenner explained.

"What happened, Jenner?" I asked, stepping forward. Carl let go of my hand so I could.

"The same thing that's happening here. No power grid. Ran out of juice. The world runs on fossil fuel. I mean, how stupid is that?" Jenner asked, rhetorically. Dad started to walk over to Jenner.

"Let me tell you-" he said, until he was interrupted by Rick.

"To hell with it, Shane. I don't even care. Lori, grab our things. Everybody, get your stuff. We're getting out of here now!" Rick demanded.

Everyone began to walk to the doors until a loud siren went off and red lights started flashing. Everyone started panicking.

"What's that? What's that?" Someone asked, frantically. The computer answered stating only thirty minutes until decontamination.