Chapter 18: Goodbye Kennah

Flashes.

Flashes.

Flashes.

Your leg was bleeding.

You couldn't breathe. I can't breathe. Your lungs collapsed in on themselves and you couldn't breathe. Why couldn't you breathe? You felt your lungs flex out and squish in together like a baby cold by its crib in winter. You knew you were breathing, but you didn't feel that you were.

Blinking. That's where the flashes came from. All you saw was the back of your eyelids, the darkness attached to them specific in its dance. You blinked blinked blinked and ran with no breath.

It was up the stairs.

You were running up the stairs, with a bleeding leg, with blinking eyes, and crying lungs. You were running up the stairs numbingly and could've sworn if you didn't hold on to whatever it was that carried you, you'd fall and collapse on these stairs.

These stairs.

Your feet slapped the metal...or was it wood? I don't know I don't know.

Ignoring your disadvantages, the blackness behind the slits of your eyes refrained from clouding you longingly as you stared and tried to unblur the figure that helped you up. He helped you, held you, and wished to kiss you in a minute. But he couldn't, not yet, his hands hugged your hips and you let him carry your dead-weight that felt heavier from the breaths taken. He held you. He was your boyfriend.

You smiled. You felt like smiling. But you couldn't. Your face was shut and you stared at the back of his full head of hair that waved back and forth in sharps. He was scared, distressed?

You didn't feel like smiling anymore. The way his fingers dug into the side of your stomach made you realize what this was.

"Kennah?" Your question echoed.

As you said his name with uncertainty, there was a slam. A slam that echoed louder than your voice in this narrow staircase that became more and more tight. Snapping in the direction of the excruciating ring to your ears, you saw figures. In black, masks, and clothing that rained off familiar scents to your nose, your pupils caved in.

"USB!" they charged at you and Kennah, running slower on the stairs that seemed to start rolling back.

Your eyes widened as the stair you were on jerked backwards. Falling to your knees, you couldn't feel the pain at your slashed shin. Your stair jerked again and you clung on to the railing that seemed to be slipping out from beneath your clammy palms. Blinking blinking blinking, there was more flashes and you tried to focus on running instead of trailing backwards with the stairs that worked like escalators gone mad.

Kennah. His back. The colour of his skin you saw peek through his top from the angle of his run. He was no longer holding you, his hands successful when moving fast up the stairs.

"Run Y/N run!"

He screamed. He screamed but you couldn't see him scream.

Your eyes bugged, mouth opened for a yell but you swallowed everything you wished to say to him when rough hands clasped over your mouth. You were forced to silence but that didn't stop your rebellion against the palm of the individual who yanked you back.

You screamed into his mouth. Eyes squinting tight. The darkness behind your eyelids wasn't what made you blind in that moment.

"YOU BITCH!" the voice of the man holding your mouth echoed as well.