Chapter 2

The setting sun illuminated the Ainzloft land, dyeing the fields a color of a fiery blaze orange. Walking on the road leading back to the village and Ainzloft manor, Logan looked around as he walked, occasionally greeting the farmers and villagers that he passed by.

It has been about half a year now since he had first came into this world, and he has gotten quite used to life here. It was nothing like his old life, but it was quite satisfying and soothing. This country feel of the Ainzloft territory was easy on the mind, allowing one to free his or her self from the worries of life.

Logan looked up at the sky, and at the birds that flew by over him. He dreamed of one day maybe flying in the air with the assistance of magic once he learned how to use magic himself. He knew that flying was doable, as the courier sometimes deliver mail by flying in the air, possibly with the assistance of wind magic.

As Logan continued to walk the country road, to the right of him, was the sparkling waters of a small river, where the main irrigation system of the village was located, and to the left of him, was the long sprawling plains, with farmland scattered on it. To the front of him, not far in the distance is the village. This village technically doesn't have a name as the villagers just refer to it as the village. In addition, it would appear that the Ainzloft territory doesn't have a formal name as well with the majority of outsiders referring to the land as Ainzloft.

"Hello there, Loganel!" a tall, muscular guy shouted to him as he entered the village. It was, Jord the village's guard captain. Him and his family that he brought with him when he was assigned here for guard duty are outsiders of the village. However, Jord and his kin was quickly accepted by the villagers by his open personality. It was all thanks to him that numerous fights could be broken up during special festival nights. "Heading home?" Jord asked, sitting on a stool outside of the blacksmith's place.

"Hello Jord," Logan answered him. "Yeah," he continued, "I'm going home now."

"You're not up to any trouble are you?" he said in a joking manner, bringing up one of their past memories when he caught Logan trespassing into the forests.

Logan was curious about whether or not there were actually monsters in this world, but before he could go far, he ran into Jord and a few other men of the guards. They were eliminating some pesty goblins and were just returning and they caught Logan red handed in the act. Jord promised to keep quiet about this incident to Maria after Logan begged him, but ever since, they've been joking around about it.

"I'm behaving," Logan answered. "What're you up to?"

"I'm having trusty old John make me a new sword," he said, smiling as he pointed with his thumb at the blacksmith who was polishing up what appears to be a newly forged blade. "Old one's served its time you see," he said, lifting a scabbard with a sword sheathed within up and setting it on the table. He then pulled the blade out and showed it to me. This blade, chipped in numerous areas and was thin from the numerous attempts at sharpening it. "Can't fight with this thing."

"How'd you get it to be so worn out?"

"You know," Jord answered, sheathing the ruined sword, "just monster hunting stuff."

"Are the monster's dangerous?" Logan asked, hoping that he would be able to acquire more information about this world.

"Nah," Jord answered, waving it the question off, "at least not those around here. The more dangerous ones don't live near people."

"Really?"

"Yeah. Because if there's a threat, the Royal Academy would issue a quest to their students or the Adventurer's Guild would issue a quest. If it is really very bad, the Knights would dispatch a unit here and take care of it. To my knowledge, there hasn't been a monster that us human's couldn't defeat. Maybe some lives will be lost, but humans haven't lost a battle to those monsters."