Chapter 33

It was night time, on a weekday, but specific districts within the city of Astalan was thriving with activity. On the normal streets, illuminated by the magic street lamps, people occasionally walked by. However, if you cast your eyes over to the red light district, it was loud and lively. Next to that district was where the restaurants and pubs were still open.   

Inside a noisy pub was filled with people such as adventurers and laborers within the city who had came there to enjoy a night of drinking. However, it was mostly the adventurers who visited this place. They drank and ate with their group of friends, chattering and laughing their day's stress away. They had visited the place to relax, but Loganel visited to free himself of his troubles.

He sat on a stool by the bar with a glass of alcohol in front of him. He had never visited a place like this before, but he felt that here was the only place where he could possibly eliminate his mind of his worries.

Unfamiliar with any liquor, Loganel randomly ordered something from the bar. The result is a mead that was sweet and had a soft kick to it. He had been drinking for about an hour now, and has already lost control of himself. His brain felt hazy due to the intoxication effect of the alcohol. However, he still felt bad.

"Bunch of lies," Loganel muttered, resting his left palm as he leaned on the counter top. "Isn't this thing supposed to make me feel better?" After finishing his sentence, he gulped down the entire cup of mead that was before him. He could feel the cold liquor making its way down his throat and into his stomach.

"Drinking won't make your problems go away," Lori's voice approached Loganel.

Loganel looked over lazily, and saw the woman sit down on the empty seat beside him at the bar.

"I take the usual," she said to the bartender. "Can't you see the boy's feeling down? Get him something better that'll make him feel better. And put it on my tab."

After a while, the bartender returned with two drinks and set them down before Loganel and Lori. Lori then took hers and took a small sip from it.

"I've talked to her," she said, "didn't say anything. All she did was cried."

"...I don't know what to do anymore," Loganel sighed and buried his head underneath his arms.

"Are you stupid or what?" Lori asked. She then exhaled deeply and eyed the wavering liquid in her glass as she twirled it around. "The deal is still on. Ten Gold."

"But she told me that she doesn't want us to see each other anymore..."

"So what? Buy her and ask her yourself. She won't be able to run from you if you own her."

"..." Loganel sat up straight, and pulled the cup of liquor that Lori had ordered for her close to him. He stared into the cup and eyed the frail face that reflected in the solution.

"Get a hold of yourself, and don't stay out till to late," Lori said. She placed some coins on the counter and then stood up before she started walking away. Suddenly, she stopped in her tracks. "If you're still a man then I'll be seeing you. If not, then don't show up to my place ever again."

Loganel watched on as she exited. Then, he slowly turned his head so that he eyed the cup of liquor before him. He sighed, and then, a small smirk appeared on his face. He grabbed the cup and drank the liquid inside in one straight go. He ignored the strong burn as it scorched his mouth and throat. Instead, he continued drinking, gulping down mouthful after mouthful without setting the cup down. Finally, the cup was empty.

"Damn," Loganel muttered. "That wasn't sweet at all."

***