Chapter 41

Opening his eyes slowly, Loganel could see the same familiar darkness that he has grown so accustomed to over the past few days. He could feel that his whole body was making contact with the floor, and from that he concluded that he was laying down. On his chest, he could feel something soft pushing against him along with a pleasant aroma.

Slowly, Loganel moved his fingers and hands to make sure that he was fine. Then, he slowly brought them over to the whatever was laying on his chest. Upon making physical contact, Loganel could feel the extreme softness and delicate as of whatever or whoever it was. Stimulated by Loganel's touch, the person on his chest started to stir. A pair of azure blue eyes stared back at Loganel. Initially, it gave Loganel a dreamy stare. Then, the gaze softened a bit and gave off a heart warming kindness.

"You alright?" Azura asked as she slowly got up and backed off a bit, giving Loganel some space.

"Yeah," Loganel sat up. "How'd we get here?"

"Probably some magic trap," Azura calmly pointed out as she looked around. "I remember seeing a bright green glow from the patterns on the ground."

"You know where we are?" Loganel slowly got up and checked to see if his sword was still with him. He then let out a sigh of relief as he realized that it was. He then glanced over at Azura. He observed that she appeared fine as well and her belongings seems to be still with her.

"I don't know," Azura shook her head. "This is somewhere we've never seen. What do you think we should do from here on?"

"Try to find the expedition team. It's pointless for us to wait around here. Who knows if they'll pass by us? Besides, we don't even know if we are below them or above them."

"Nice to hear something sensible coming out of your mouth," Azura half-smiled from amusement.

"Something wrong with what I say?"

"Nothing," Azura quickly dismissed the topic, but still, her rare smile was still on display.

"You need a second to recover? We might want to leave as soon as possible. If that was a trap, then we don't know what it should've lead us to." Loganel took out his pocket watch and checked the time. "It's quite late," he frowned, "already ten PM. We should find somewhere to spend the night. No use trying to rush things."

With Loganel in the lead, the two pressed on into the unknown, labyrinth-like streets of the ancient ruins. The roads that were available to be taken were dark and often narrow, leading Loganel to believe that this area must have been the slums of the ancient city. Loganel occasionally glanced over his shoulder at Azura, trying to read her face. However, he gave up after he realized that she still had that apathetic look on her face despite him knowing that she is capable of emotion but just kept it hidden.

Loganel exercised extreme caution as they made their way aimlessly through the winding alleyways and roads of the ancient city. Occasionally, he would hear the sound of rotten flesh smacking against the stone floor or the walls of one of the buildings that were illuminated under the faint, eerie green glow from the few Mana crystals present.

"Zombies," Azura whispered to him as they peeked around the corner of a building and discovered a rotten corpse with skin peeling off and flesh falling off just standing about. "So we are either on the eighth floor or any floors below it since the eighth floor is the floor where we first encountered the Undead," she reasoned.

"So that means the expedition team is near us..." Loganel slowly backtracked from the corner in search of another way. "Let's locate a place to stay for the night first. When we have everything settled we can discuss our future moves."

He entered a small alleyway, weapon drawn and in hand as he proceeded. Him and Azura lacked any real methods for combating Undead, therefore they were careful not to draw the attention of any of those monsters. Well, Loganel believes that he might have a way, that is if he could somehow coat his weapon with Mana of the Holy element. Even though Loganel has talent in all elements, the Holy element is...special. It requires special training for one to be able to utilize it unlike the other elements such as Fire. This is why there's an entire school dedicated to the Holy element.