Chapter 3

A gentle breeze blew outside of the Ainzloft manor, bringing with it, the chill of the first winter winds, signaling the start of winter. The windows in Aldin's study was shut tight to prevent the cold air from entering. In addition, a small, crackling fire was lit in the fire place, providing a gentle and soothing warm into the room.

In this room, behind the work desk and on Aldin's chair, Loganel sat. Because the chair was intended to be used by an adult, Loganel's legs dangled. A glass orb was placed on the desk in front of him.

"Magic," Aldin began as he paced around in front of the desk, "is basically the world's energy that are altered by the corresponding magic elements within our body. This element, we call it mana," Aldin said as he picked out a book on his big bookshelf and set it on the desk and in front of Loganel. "This book records the history of magic," Loganel's father said, "read this if you are interested in learning about the origins of magic."

Aldin then glanced over at his wife, who was sitting with her back straight and in an elegant manner on the cushioned sofa by the fire place before he continued. He cleared his throat. "Today, what we shall be doing is testing your magic attributes, or in other words, talent in the different elements. There are four basic elements of magic: fire, earth, and water. However, the more advanced elements, such as ice, thunder, light, and dark are difficult to master and often requires natural talent to master such arts."

Loganel raised his hands.

"Yes?" Aldin gave him permission to speak.

"What element do you have talent in, father?" Loganel asked out of curiosity.

"If I recall correctly, it should be fire, ice, and wind," Aldin answered, looking into the air as he tried to remember the day that he had his magic attributes tested. "And by the way, your mother's talents were wind and fire, the more basic elements."

"Aldin," Maria suddenly smiled in a threatening way, which immediately led to Aldin cowering in fear.

"B-but those elements are pretty powerful," he immediately added, "especially if it is your mother. Your mother is extremely powerful."

"That's right." Maria's facial expression then went back to normal, and Aldin sighed in relief as he thanked the Gods for being spared from Maria's wrath.

"Back to what we were saying," Aldin cleared his throat and tried to look authoritative once again, "magic talents usually are passed down from parent to child. That's why you should be able to inherit at least one of our areas of specialties." He then walked over to the desk, gesturing for Loganel to lean in close to the glass orb. "In order to test to see what magic talents you have, put your hand on this orb," he said.

"Like this?" Loganel asked as he placed his palm on the glass orb and gradually rested his fingers on the orb.

"Yes," Aldin confirmed. "Now, just imagine that an energy within you is being transferred to this orb."

Loganel then closed his eyes and imagined that there were what appears to be streams running in his body. The streams all originated from his heart, and branched out in his body. He then tried to focus it into his hand that was on the orb. Once he could visualize the energy gathering in his hand, he gradually released it from his palms, imagining a dam that has been opened.

"This is..." Loganel heard a surprised voice coming from his father.

"What's wrong?" Loganel asked in a worried voice as he opened his eyes. "What's this?"

Before Loganel, in the glass orb, there was what appears to be chaos. A burning fire, constantly being drenched by drops of water and lightning. Underneath that fire within the orb was what appears to be soil and vegetation. A strong wind appeared to be blowing, and with the wind came snowflakes. Finally, at the very top of this chaos was a darkness, and within that darkness was a sliver of light.