Chapter 6

The bell rang throughout the campus of the Academy, signalling the start of another day of school. It has been five years since his first day here. However, like he had expected, the first five years were filled with boring lectures, which were of no appeal to him.

However, this year, he will be given the opportunity to venture out of the city and partake in quests and explorations. In fact, he was in dire need of an opportunity to make money. Even though Laurina and Redgilus has been able to accept quests and hunt monsters, the money they had earned still was only enough for them to do maintenance on their gear, stock up on curatives, and barely support the three of them and Juliana. The first day of his Fifth Grade at the Royal Academy, Loganel only has ten Silver left now, which will have to last if they were to survive. Therefore, Loganel was still somewhat excited about heading to school despite his hatred of waking up early.

Last week, which was the first week of school, his homeroom teacher had informed of them of the new curriculum in which their schooling shall be based on, which consisted of one week of school, and another week of free time, which was designed so that students could partake on quests or head into the wilderness and hunt monsters, starting the the third week of school. From this year on, the amount of monsters a student hunts and quests completed will be used to determine whether or not they could move up to the next grade. Therefore, the school made sure that students will have enough time to partake on some of the more complicated and dangerous quests that are worth more points or just hunt monsters for points.

"Loganel," Loganel's homeroom teacher sighed as she lit a pipe and took a puff from it. She then blew out the smoke, creating a thin cloud of smoke in front of Loganel as he stood by her desk in the faculty office. "I thought that you would've been more like your sister. I didn't expect you to turn out like Redgilus."

"I'm sorry, Ms. Beras," Loganel apologized by blankly nodding his head.

"God," she sighed, "your brother just has sleepy looking eyes and that's bad enough. But yours?" she shook her head, tired from her scolding session, "why does it look dead?"

"I think it's natural," Loganel jokingly answered.

"You think this is time for you to be joking?" Ms. Beras slammed her hand down on the wooden desk, making Loganel wince.

That must've hurt, he thought. Man, I feel bad for you, desk.

"I've told you all on the first day of school to find people to form a party of at least three people," she continued, crossing her arms and legs. "But still to now, you've only got your maid who's willing to join, no excuse me, who's obligated to join you and form a party with you..."

"I'm sorry," Loganel apologized once again.

"Don't apologize to me," Ms. Beras brought one hand to her head as if she's in pain from a headache of some sort. "Until you get that third person, I can't let you head out."

"What?" Loganel suddenly started panicking, "then I wouldn't be able to make money and graduate. Don't you think it would suck if I starve?"

"No," Ms. Beras answered quickly, looking away from Loganel so as to not show any pity for the boy.

"Come on," Loganel begged.

"Don't you have any friends to join?"

"I ugh...Let me put it this way," Loganel said, "friends are for the weak."

"I guess that mean's no," Ms. Beras sighed once again, leaving her pretty face tired with fatigue. "How bout this," she suggested suddenly, "I pair you up with another student that wasn't able to form a party."