Chapter 50

Loganel stared at the familiar face with tears in his eyes. A feeling of grave sorrow plagued his mind as he felt tears rolling down his cheeks. He didn't understand why the man before him was able to smile so peacefully, and he doesn't understand why he did not blame him for anything that had happened.  

"Why?" he sobbed. "How can you forgive me for what I've done?"

The man's smile, so warm and forgiving, it made Loganel feel a greater level of disdain for himself. "Because none of it is your fault." The man's simple words echoed in Loganel's brain.

"How?" Loganel shook his head, unable to accept this for an answer. "I...I took everything from you. When I first saw you it confirmed my suspicions. I...I don't belong here do I?"

"You didn't. You are Loganel." The man placed a gentle hand on Loganel's shoulder. "You gave me things that I could never imagine." The man then stepped past Loganel so that his back faced Loganel. "When I woke up that one day on my eighth birthday," the man continued, "I was genuinely shocked when I realized that I was no longer in my physical body and that I was only a spirit that roamed the world three thousand years ago. It would seem that when you took control of my body, my spirit was transported back into time."

"..." Loganel silently listened to what the original Loganel had to say.

"I was devastated you know?" he said. "I cried, wept, shouted out loud, but no one was able to hear me. That is...until I met him, the one that you all now call the Demon King." The man turned to face Loganel, on his face was a look of nostalgia and joy as he recalled his past. "'You're all alone?' he asked me that. I was just so glad that someone finally acknowledged my existence that I just broke down crying in front of him. He didn't shout or anything when I did so. Instead, he watched on with a gentle gaze and allowed me to let everything out. He...was very gentle and kind. He took me in to his castle, and he even had one of his subordinates create a physical body for me."

"The Demon King?" Loganel repeated in disbelief. "I thought he was a vicious man that killed for fun?"

The young man shook his head. "That isn't true. Not in the slightest. Maybe those that came before him, but he was the kindest person I've met. He was a great man, a caring father. If you would've saw how he tried to please his daughter, you would've known that he was no threat. That is only if you do not provoke him or threaten the safety of his family."

The young man looked over at Loganel, judging his facial expression to guess his reaction.

"So what happened?" Loganel asked.

"He tried to peacefully coexist with humanity," the man said with a sad look on his face. "But...it would appear that humanity wasn't ready yet. Many demons were slayed just for approaching human villages, those demons only intended to establish a peaceful relationship with those villagers, and before they were able to say anything, they were struck down. These incidents happened almost everywhere. No one was willing to communicate with the demons, and numerous families were broken due to this...In the end, the call for revenge was too strong for the Demon King to ignore, so reluctantly, he ordered for the army to march on."

"..." Loganel remained silent.

"Prior to all this, the Demon King sent me off from his castle, telling me that because I'm human, my life might be threatened by those demons who were thirsty for revenge. Therefore, he sneaked me out of his castle and to one of the many human cities. You know what's the funny thing in all this?" The man paused and looked at Loganel with tears in his eyes. "He gave me a sword and said 'Slay me and the demons if I'm unable to halt the advance.' Just like that, he gave me the task of stopping their march."