Chapter 40

The camp slowly woke as the morning hour arrived. As Loganel opened his eyes, he was greeted by the darkness of the underground ruins of the ancient city of Ekeletas where no sunlight reached at all. Instead, the only illumination available where from the fire burning in the torch lamp that stood on their wooden stands, the eerie green glow from the mysterious vein-like lines etched into the city infrastructure and buildings that pulsed with Mana, and the Mana crystals laid out in the city like street lamps by the ancient civilization that had resided here in the past. Despite the obvious darkness, everybody was up and about due to the fact that there were knights making rounds through the camp, waking anyone who hasn't yet in order to set off on time.

This was the third day of the investigation, and the team has yet to reach its mark. In fact, they were still a few floors from their previously reached depth of ten floors. Now, with the sixth floor cleared, it is scheduled that the team shall reach its previous benchmark by the end of the day, and set up camp in order to ready themselves for the unknown.

As Loganel walked around the morning camp, he realized that there was an obvious decrease in morale following the mysterious events that had happened the day earlier. Almost a hundred people had perished or had mysteriously vanished up until now, causing anxiety among those that still remained. Neither the volunteers or the knights expected to lose almost one fourth of their entire team, but the expedition must continue and they must keep foraging forward.

The team mobilized, moving on down into the seventh floor. Just as before, there were no Kobolds in sight. Rather, there were more bones of humanoid creatures laying about alongside with detached limbs with decaying flesh. Once again, the team was able to reach the end of the seventh floor with no problem, other than the sudden disappearance of fifty more expedition members, most of whom where the peasants that had volunteered for easy money.

"The lower levels must be infested with Undead," an experienced adventurer muttered to his party member. "But it's kinda weird how there's nothing on this level as well as the one above us other than whatever it was that's hunting us."

"Yeah," the other person nodded. Normal Undeads should not have any intelligence to even think of moving down to the lower floors. Shouldn't they just be wandering about?"

"That's what I'm confused on," the first adventurer crossed his arms in front of his chest. "And I don't get why we're continuing on with this expedition."

"Me too. I still have my fiancee waiting for me at home. This was supposed to be my last adventurer," the adventurer sighed and shook his head, shrugging as he did so.

The team continued onto the eighth floor, which was when things suddenly changed. The once so quiet city suddenly bustled with activity as enemies were finally spotted. Skeleton Warriors and Zombies roamed this floor, attacking whatever living being they set eyes on. With finally something to break the eerie silence, the team actually experienced a boost in morale as they could finally rest easy knowing that these Undeads might be the enemy that they were worrying about.

"Loganel right!" Tetsuya called out to Loganel as he blocked the incoming attack from the sword of a Skeleton Warrior, warning Loganel of the incoming Zombie.

Loganel immediately responded to the call out, knocking back the Skeleton Warrior that he was previously engaged in combat in in order to fend off the incoming Zombie. Loganel knows that he can't kill these creatures since the only way to defeat the Undead is with Holy Magic, which is usually only known by those who's occupation involves the Holy Church. Juliana, having learned from the Priest School, has knowledge of such spells, and Tetsuya, having being trained under a Paladin, both wield the keys to defeating these Undead enemies. What the others could do is only to stall the enemy.