Chapter 45

Loganel stepped into the circular clearing that housed the stairway that led down to the lower level. There were brutally mutilated corpses that were gnawed to the bone laid about the area with the occasional Undead still wandering about, possibly late to the feast and now with no where to go. They didn't bother Loganel and Azura. In fact, they didn't seem to have noticed the two due to their gloom silence.

There were white flower petals scattered about on the ground, covering the stone floor and providing the bland ruins of Ekeletas with a much needed hint of white. There were some shards of shattered ice not far from the stairway door, but Loganel paid little attention to it. In the air, there was the soft, sweet scent of flowers, and this scent covered the foul stench of the rotting Undead.

"White Carnation..." Azura whispered as she sniffed the air.

"You know your flowers?" Loganel looked over at her.

"It helps to pay attention in class," Azura responded. "Plus I like flowers. What's that surprised look for?" She looked over at Loganel.

"No," Loganel explained. "Just didn't thought that you were into flowers."

Azura looked at Loganel with a somewhat annoyed look, but she didn't made any further comments regarding the issue. Instead, she focuses more on the ice shards that was scattered throughout the area near the opening to the stairway in a random pattern.

"Looks like something shattered some ice," she whispered. "And all the bodies...Looks like the team was ambushed here and had to create a wall of ice to buy time for their escape."

"Is it that wolf?"

"Most likely," she observed.

"Then this means," Loganel looked down the dark stairway, "the team is up ahead and the wolf is there too." He stepped towards the stairway, careful to not step on any shards of ice, and used the pillar as a support. "We'll have to be very careful when we go down there."

"Yeah," Azura frowned as she nodded.

The two stepped carefully down the dark stairway that was barely illuminated by the green glow from the carefully spaced out crystals. Running down the stairs were green lines that were on either sides of the stairs. These lights acted as a sort of a guideline for whoever is using these stairs.

Irritated by the darkness, Loganel summoned an orb of gentle fire into his left hand and used that light to illuminate the stairs as him and Azura descended. With the illumination from the small orb of fire, Loganel saw some silver fur laying on the ground and some scratch marks on the stone surface of the stairs and walls.

"Looks like it is the wolf," he whispered to Azura.

Upon arriving at the new floor, the two were greeted by an obvious track to follow. The expedition team has left behind a path of motionless Undead and the occasional corpse of a familiar face of someone that Loganel or Azura has saw at camp. Besides these obvious clues, there was the trail left behind by that wolf. Claw marks were evident on the ground and some of the wolf's silver fur reflected the light from the fire in Loganel's hands.

"Looks like they went that way." Azura pointed down the trail of destruction.

"How many do you think are still left?" Loganel asked as the two of them walked down the street, following the trail left behind by the expedition team.

"I don't know," Azura shook her head. "But hopefully Tetsuya, Juliana and the others are alright."

"..."