Chapter 38

Slowly, the expedition team gathered at the stairway leading down to the fifth floor. Since the forth floor has been explored in the past, a map was available to every party in the expedition team which is the reason why everybody was able to arrive quickly.

"You guy's doing okay?" The Sylvan elf girl named Teryani approached Loganel's party with a confident smile on her face.   

"Doing good so far," Tetsuya responded with a friendly smile. "What about you guys?"

"Barely breaking a sweat," Kaz, the demi-human, gave them a thumbs up as he walked over to have a casual conversation as the expedition team waited for everybody to arrive.

"This formation by Marsha is sure efficient," Sullivan pointed out, the tip of his spear pointed towards the stone floor as he looked around the eerie but still magnificent ruins of the ancient city. "Still can't lose focus though."

"Right," Tetsuya nodded. "Have you guys been down here before?"

"A few times," Sullivan responded.

"But we were chased around by the Kobolds on this floor most of the time," Morgan, the cleric, added with a light chuckle.

"You don't need to add that!" Sullivan blushed in embarrassment at Morgan's comments.

"No worries," Juliana said in a comforting smile. "We've never even been to the forth floor prior to this. The deepest we've been is the third..."

Her voice became quieter at the end as she realized what she was talking about. She glanced over at Loganel from the corner of her eye to observe his reactions. To her, Loganel is someone that she deeply cares for, someone that she willingly serves. Therefore, she sees it as her responsibility to take into account his feelings and consequences of his actions, for example his involvement with who she perceives as a "prostitute".

Slowly, Juliana backed away from the conversation of the group and surreptitiously approached Loganel from his back when he wasn't looking. She missed being so close to him since he has been so distant lately. In her heart, there is an unconditional affection for him. Twelve years ago, when Juliana was just a young child who was almost six years of age and whilst the Ainzloft family still resided in Astalan, she was abandoned by her parents and left on the streets of Astalan. She could still remember it as clear as day when "he" approached her and gave her the kindness and warmth that she so desired for. He was the one that had shielded her that day from the rain, and he was the ray of sunlight and hope that had permeated through the clouds and shined onto her world. It was Loganel's kindness that had brought her to where she was today, and she is determined to do what she could to help him.

As she remembered the past with a longing and nostalgic look on her face, a sense of depression slowly crept into her mind. Slowly, she recalled how Loganel had started to distance himself from her after he had met "her". Juliana knows his relationship with her, and understands that it was totally pure and that that girl has not allowed her body to be tainted. However, it was her status that bothered her. Due to this, she had confronted her regarding this fact and she had offered that girl, Iry, her solution in a discreet way. However, it would appear that it still has not engendered the effect that Juliana would desire for Loganel is still so cold. But, Juliana is determined and confident that she will be able to restore their relationship when Loganel opens her birthday present for him. Juliana had prepared for Loganel's birthday, which was coming up, for a while now. She had started knitting him his gift, along with other things she had planned.

"Alright," Marsha finally announced to everyone that has gathered. "We shall be continuing on to the next floor now. As for those who are not here at the moment, the best we could do is pronounce them as dead."