Chapter 20 - Mistake

The first round has ended, then it was the time for the result.

MC: Whose name is called, please step forward! First is...

Name after name were called. Liz and everyone waited patiently, hoping that her name would be called.

Liz: ...*gulp*...

MC: ...And the last one, Miss Liz!

Liz came back to her senses when she heard her name.

Liz: .....!!

Liz covered her gasp with her hands and blinked several times in disbelief.

Liz: I...I did it....!

MC: Please step forward, Miss Liz.

Liz slightly nodded, still shocked about the result, but also happy at the same time. Liz proudly walked to the front step by step. Who didn't win hung their head in disappointment, some even cried. Just then, another contestant, who was wearing a red high-quality dress, with many expensive diamonds attached on all over it and many sparkling jewelry around her neck and wrist, raised her voice.

Contestant: Please wait a moment! I won't accept this! Why'd that girl be chosen instead of me?! I've worn the most high-quality dress and accessories, so I HAD to be the winner! What is so special about that ugly plain dress?! Did you let her win just because you're also a member of the Goldsteins, Miss Elaine?

That made everyone have the same question as her and the audience started chattering.

MC: E-Everyone! Please be quiet!

Despite the MC's warning, uneasy and doubts got bigger and bigger in the audience's mind. Just then, Elaine picked up the micro and stood up, everyone started to quieten down as they focus their attention to her. Elaine talked slowly, not bothered by those words.

Elaine: Please calm down, everyone. The reason I didn't choose you as the winner because you doesn't understand the meaning of "Love".

Contestant: Huh?? What do you mean by I don't understand?! I just need to give them money and then I'll get many loves as I want!

Elaine: ...That's the reason I didn't choose you from the start.

Elaine: "Love" isn't somethings that you could buy with money, it must started from the bottom of both person's hearts. They shared the same happiness, the same feelings, and the same pain when one suffers. They trust and understand each other, that's what true love like. Like me and my fiance, or Liz with her lover. A person that always depends on money like you will never understand the meaning of "Love". That expensive dress you chosed had tell me all.

Liz: ...!

Liz flustered at Elaine's remark, while that contestant stood still in silence.

Contestant: I..I...

Elaine: ...Besides, I didn't go easy on Liz because she represents for my family, but because she truly understood the meaning of "Love". Do you think I will gave her bad scores with an amazing performance like that?

Elaine: My role today is a judge, and I'll do exactly as it. I won't place my feelings over my responsibility. So all of you prepare for it, I won't go easy on your tiny mistakes, whatever family do you come from.

Everyone held their breath at Elaine's low-tone warning. That contestant shamefully lowered her gaze and stepped backwards.

Sigurd: Phew...as expected from Miss Elaine... Strict as always..