Chapter 22: Memories and Flight

Bellatrix's POV (3rd Person)

Bella paced around her bedroom, angrily twisting her fingers together. She had been in this room for the better part of a week and a half, waiting for the House Elf, Kreacher, to give her information on Potter and what would bring his downfall, but he had yet to show up. Bella grew more and more anxious as the seconds passed, knowing that the Dark Lord was growing impatient. It would be Bella he would come after if his plan was not executed on time, as it was she who was to hand over what he learned about Potter. His wrath would lie in Narcissa as well, but Bella knew it would be she who would reap the worst of the consequences if failure was to ensue.

Ever since the Dark Lord's meeting, Bella had waited for the damned elf to bring her information, but he had yet to show up. Bella could not summon him, as she didn't know where he was hiding. All she could do was wait. As she paced, she allowed her thought process to wander, too distracted by her almost-inevitable failure to notice where her mind was headed. Her thoughts moved through her broken and cracked psyche to the darkest recesses of her mind where, in which, was hidden the memories of the events that had transpired so long ago. Bella walked faster as she allowed herself to remember....

----Flashback----

Bella paced around the tiny room of her cottage, whimpering in pain as another contraction coursed through her. "Breathe, just breathe," she murmured to herself, her breathing labored as she clutched her stomach. Bella had managed to ignore the contractions that had started so early the previous day, but now they were coming in quick succession and Bella was at a loss as to what she should do.

It had crossed her mind to summon her sister, Narcissa, but Bella knew that she would be compelled to tell Lucius what was going on, besides the fact that Narcissa was a new mother herself and, therefore, unwilling to leave her son's side. Bella even considered sending word to her estranged sister, Andromeda, as she had experience in delivering children since the birth of Bella's niece ten years prior. Bella was too proud to ask Andromeda for help, as well as disgusted, still, by her sister's marriage to a muggle-born.

Bella screeched in pain, clutching the window sill for support as another wave of pain shot through her. As Bella opened her eyes, hot tears streaming down her face, she noticed a woman staring at her from across the road. Slowly the woman approached as Bella cautiously opened the window a crack, her wand clutched tightly in her hand.

"Are you alright?" The woman asked. Her voice was soft and dreamlike, her long blonde hear tied in a knot at the top of her head, her wand sticking out of it. Bella shook her head, gritting we teeth as another burst of pain shot through her belly. The woman peered through the window and smiled. "I should've known, the nargles grow excited when a new life is coming. I will help you."

Bella raised her eyebrow, confused but not threatened by the woman standing outside. Bella could tell she was very strange but not unkind so, not completely unwillingly, she allowed the woman entrance into the cottage. Bella kept her guard up as the woman bustled around, gathering up pillows and blankets to make up a proper bed to have a baby, lighting a fire to keep Bella and her child warm as the cool spring night set in.

Hours later, just before night turned to day, Bella lay, exhausted against her pillows as the woman, who had helped her all night, cleaned off the baby that had finally been born. Bella had yet to see her child, not even knowing the gender yet, half tempted to tell the woman to just take the baby and leave. Before Bella could even suggest such a thing the woman turned, presenting the baby to Bella. "It's a girl," the woman beamed, placing her on Bella's chest. Bella stared down at the little girl, incredulous, taking in every detail from the rose kissed cheeks, to the blonde curls framing the chubby face.