Chapter 9: My Jagiya

Kae Il's POV

Why are you laughing?!

"Um, she's Ji Min's aunt. His parents are busy at work, so I guess they'll come later. Right, auntie?" The guy said. I looked at Ji Min's aunt, she nodded smiled at me. I smiled back.

"Ne," she replied. "Jin, dear, what time do you plan on leaving?" she asked. Ah, so Jin is his name. Yeah, I remember now: Kim Seok Jin. Aigo~! I'm so forgetful.

"I think I'll be staying here until around six this evening, auntie. I don't think I can go back to school," he frowned. Wow, he really does loves his best friend.

"Can I leave him to you? I have an appointment I need to hurry and get to. His father should be here in about thirty minutes."

"Sure, auntie. Goodbye. Take care," he said his farewell. She smiled to us. We bowed, and she left.

Even though Ji Min's aunt left, I kept smiling because of the thought that Ji Min was safe.

"Are you okay?" he worried. My face shifted.

"Yeah. Why?"

"Aren't you going to school?" he asked.

"Nope, I'll just stay here with you," I smiled at him. "I want to be here when Ji Min opens his eyes." I added.

Jin's POV

"Nope, I'll stay here with you." The words keep on repeating on my head. What are you really saying? Stop smiling, girl. You're making me not want to give up on liking you.

"Uhm, Jin?" she mumbled. "How long have you been friends with Ji Min?"

~Flashback~

I was six at the time. It was my birthday and my parents were both ill. As a kid, I expected my parents to give me a birthday present but I never received anything that day. I couldn't blame them; they had their reasons. I went to a toy shop near our house, alone. I found this huge toy car. I wanted my parents to buy it for me, but I knew they couldn't because we were just too poor. Our house was so small, our roof had holes in it, and when the rain or snow came, our house was flooded. I looked at the toy car again. It has big silver tires, the wind shield is glossy, the roof is painted a transparent pink, my favorite color. I wanted, no needed to have that car. I wanted to steal it, but I couldn't have.

Little did I know that a little boy was staring at it too. His parents walked over towards him, and I saw him point his finger towards the car. I knew what would happen next: they'd buy it for him, he would be the happiest little thing, and they'd receive a nice, warm bear hug and plenty of kisses from him as gratitude. And so they did. The little boy saw me looking at him and at his new toy car with my face full of sorrow. I was not jealous, I just felt sad for myself for having this kind of lifestyle. My father couldn't get a stable job because of his ailment; my mother sold socks everyday, but only earned a little.

He walked towards me.

"Do you like it?" he asked while pulling out the toy from the paper bag. I nodded. "Here, you can have it," he smiled. I didn't notice that my mouth was gaping. What? He handed the toy to me. I stood still. I couldn't believe someone would just give this to me. A stranger that only knew me, barely, for a short moment. I smiled and accepted it, wiping my tears of joy.

"Kamsahamnida! Neomu kamsahamnida!" I repeated and bowed at him as deeply as I could. I saw his parents coming closer. My eyes went wide. I hugged it tightly. I was afraid they'd take it back.